Author Topic: witch side for the taper  (Read 3831 times)

Offline lost arrow

witch side for the taper
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:37 am »
this is probaly a dumb question but what side should the taper on a taperd shaft be nock or point?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: witch side for the taper
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:23:27 am »
It depends on whether you want a barrel taper(both ends), full taper(down to nock) or nock end taper(I don't remember what it is called  ;D ).      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:02 am »
If it tapers down toward the nock end, it is called a "bobtailed" arrow.  The opposite is called a "chested" arrow.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:09:33 pm »
what is the purpose of these tapers????   i mean i know it has to serve a performance purpose right???? 

what is the differance in the too or three tapers... im sorry to jump in the conversation and ask questions but very courise to why the tapers???

why the barrle tapper????
why the bobtail tapper???
why the Chested taper???

and i saw a jig on the 3 rivers catalog for making these tapers is the same taper for all 3 designs???  or is the bobtail or chested tapers a differant tapper???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »
With a barreled taper you reduce physical weight without reducing spine. The full length taper and bobtail taper both help with spine issued by making the arrow less spine sensitive. It also helps with fletching clearance.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:09:32 pm »
I'm not an expert on this, but here is what I've learned:

First, these tapers reduce arrow weight without much loss in spine....which means a slightly faster arrow.

Bobtailed arrows have the weight forward which improves overall flight and allows for smaller fletches.  It also reduces the "slap" (arrow rubbing against bow) that you hear when firing the arrow.

Chested arrows have less "wiggle" at the rear of the arrow when fired.  This translates into less drag, and a little more speed.

Barrelled arrows have tapers at both ends and in addition to the benefits above, they are more forgiving if you have a shaft that is not perfectly straight.  They also don't vibrate as much in flight as parallel shafts.

In general, tapers increase speed....which in turn creates a flatter trajectory...which makes it easier for some people to hit the target.

(sorry if this repeats some of what Pat said...he beat me to it.  ;))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:15:50 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr