Author Topic: Wish Me Luck!  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Wish Me Luck!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 09:52:11 am »
Sorry about that,like Greg said ,it happens. I don't get an exit hole lots of the times and it dose make things tough.Sounds like she shouldn't have went far.If it is real thick it makes it tough.Most
times I just start making circles and will come up on them out 100 yards or so if I can't find blood.
Hit there she should have bedded within that distance. :) Good luck on finding her today. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 11:18:29 am »
Too bad about yer doe Ryan. Sounds like a good hunt nonetheless though. Two more days and i'm there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 07:40:26 pm »
Ryano,
      I was reading an article that Ed Ashby sent me today that he wrote a few years back under the pen name " Derilict Old Bowhunter". He was talking about tracking wounded game. In the article he spoke at length about wounded animals when they are finished fleeing and looking to bed will use a button hook maneuver that will that will circle them back a little in the direction of their back trail  into an area of thick brush with their back to the wind using their nose for that approach and their eyes watching in front of them. You might consider that. If you want the article I can email you.  I found it to be very good. Although have'nt gotten to use it yet I can see how I might.   Go get another one buddy you can do it. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Little John

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 08:00:13 pm »
Sorry Ryan it is tough to loose one, I have lost a couple and it dosen't feel good. Stone tipped arrows are cool to make and shoot but I do not personally think they could be expected to penetrate as well as a well designed steel broadhead. I will probably hunt with stone someday but will know that I am handicapping my self. Dont feel too bad, the other predaters have to eat also and it sounds like there is no deer shortages in your area. Now go and get one of those big bucks.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 10:40:30 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Its not the first time I've lost one, I know it happens but it doesn't make you feel any better about it when it does happen. I think I'm going to give the stone points one more shot and hope for the best.  I think the outcome could have been the same with or without stone points, so like I said I'll give it one more try if I can get a shot at a doe again here soon.

Pappy, tried that. With the dog as well. Still nothing turned up.  ???

Danny, thanks for the info. Trust me, I've been down this road before. I seem to get a call every time one of my Buddy's hits one and needs help tracking it, so I have quite a bit of experience tracking wounded game, but that sounds like some good advise.

Kenneth, I actually got really good penetration. It was a 32" arrow and it was buried up to within a few inches of my fletchings. :-\  I know what your saying though.  :-[
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:42 pm »
   That's tough Ryan. That's why I started shooting heavier bows for hogs. It seemed if I didn't get a two hole shot, the quartering away, one hole shot closed up and the blood just filled the cavity. The lowering away shot into the Brisket has a lot of fat and closes behind the arrow. Leaving a Piss poor blood trail. Stone points will actually open up some Big , nasty, holes.

I really am starting to think that hunting with legal size stone points in bows in the 50-55# range is not that consistantly effective. I think Billy was on the right track with his article with penetration with small points and what I consider light weight bows. And making, Shot Placement  on the money.

Hope you find the deer and good luck. Wish I could see that many in one day.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 12:12:46 am »
ouch, that sucks, I shot one lasy year, the carbon arrow broke in two, and we couldnt find it..... but at least you can say you did it traditional! my god, i cant wait until I csn say i nailed a deer, with a bow i made! im pretty new to deer hunting, but it sounds like you're at the candy shop, 15 deer is crazy, im lucky to see that many in the season.(cant bait in illinois, im not sure if anyone here baits, the only thing you can bait is rats ???) good luck though man, i asked whitewoodhunter the same question, what arrow material are you using? When i do go out, I'm planning on using tradepoints, then steppuing up (or down ;D) to the more primitive obsidian tips. for now, i got squirrel slayers ;D (steel field tips) good luck though, it sounds like you have alot more chances at mr. buck  -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
Eddie, I hear ya. I'm going to try it one more time before I give up and go back to a steel point. 15 deer in one day here isn't the norm either. I'm hunting a good funnel area, and just got lucky because almost every deer in that piece of woods decided to come through it that morning.(everyone except the good buck)  ::)

ballista, No baiting here either, just hunting a good funnel area in thick cover. My arrow was made of river Cain tipped with obsidian. Here is a picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 10:30:08 pm »
sorry for your lost prey brother....  have spent days searching in vain for lost deer.... keep trying with the stone points... they have worked for twenty thousand years... should still be just as deadly... look forward to pictures of your harvest... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:42 pm »
 those are some slick arrows, ryano! yeah, its pretty tough, my closest shot all year was like 30 yards away, but aside from that, they were all out of bow range. im not yet traditional deer hunting, but i can hit squirrels at 15 yard range with a selfbow, pretty consistantly.   i think by late this year, for sure next year, ill go out with a selfbow-i dunno though. howard hill wrote a book, theres alot of info on stone points in there.the seminoles swore by the stuff, they also hunted in packs ;D but tracking a one lung shot deer-sucks. we had the blood lights, and it was still pretty hard! good luck though- jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.