Author Topic: my new trade points  (Read 5567 times)

Offline possum

my new trade points
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:26:30 am »
I haven't shot anything with them yet but the biggun is 220 grains. :o  That should tame some of my stiff arrow shafts. ;D  It is 3:1.5 ratio and the other two are 3:1 and weigh about 160 grains.  I haven't sharpened them yet so they will lose a bit more weight.

Hope they work.  They were made from an old skill saw blade and are .050 inches.  Can't imagine them bending but, now having said that, I may just have to try it. >:D

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline TRACY

Re: my new trade points
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:30:57 pm »
Look like they'll do the job. Should be able to get them very sharp.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »
Looks Almost like mine,they were 50/000 bandsaw blades also and let me assure you,they
will work. ;) ;D
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:21:44 pm »
hey possum,

what does "It is 3:1.5 ratio and the other two are 3:1 "  mean????

i dont know anthing about em but i was thinking of maybe making some tradpoints since i have forged blades from old rail road spikes i know i can work steel fair enough... how ever i was thinking of maybe just cuting out some points like yours instead of trying to forge out of round stock...    but im confussed about the ratio thing??  what is that???... could you explain...

Offline possum

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:05:26 pm »
It's 3" long and 1.5" wide and 3" long and 1" wide.  I too have forged arrow heads out of small bits of leaf spring.  Lots of fun.  But these were much easier to do.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:34:09 pm »
I like your new trade points.
The one with the long vertical slits the most.

What did you cut them out with?

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline possum

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:51:11 pm »
I used a Dremel with the new quick release reinforced fiber cut off wheels.

Thanks

possum

mebane NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:53:21 pm »
yea,

i would think that cutting and shaping is alot less work to get them closer to same size and shape then forging...   i havnt sparked up my carbon forge in a couple of yrs... i built an easy forge rig... its funny how i got to work.. but i just ussed an old dryer inside linner for for the pit to burn natural carbon coil.. i get from a ferrier supply,   and then i rigged up a blower motter from an old air mattress that had a hole in it so i cut out the moter... and then i used the alumunuim round luandry drie hose to the air moter to the bottom of the coal burning pit... and whalah a coal burning forge...lol...   it gets the steel sooo hot that it will melt a railroad spike if i leave it in there to long...   i use a piece of rail raod as my anvel and i'm forging steel...

but thanks for the explaination on the ratio... i didnt know what you were talking about... lol..

i was thinking of forging trade points from rebar i got lots of that at every jobsite... but i think im going to try and waite for a steel diamond blade i know we have to change them out every now and then from our quicky saw's or our brick/ block saw...   i think they our quicky saw carries a 14" diamond blade and our block saw takes a 20" diamond blade and i know they are expensive blade i think each one is over 125. to over 150 bucks at times... sooo i know we are going to change out 2 blades soon i need to call the forman on that job to see if he hasnt already changed them...

just wish i had a plasma cuter to cut the dang things then id be an arrow head making fool... :P

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:26 pm »
  Shooter, I make mine out of Diamond blades. I cut them out with a hammer and chisel. The Dremel with the fibre blades work also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Shooter_G22

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 02:11:45 am »
Hey Possum,

I liked your trade points soooo much that i decided that i would  give it a go as soon as i could..  calles my field supervisor and asked if he knew of any forman taht would be changing blades soon...  he told me he thinks that the forman i was thinking about changed blades yesterday.. or at least he knows that he sent out new blades to his job yesterday im goint to have to call him and see if he threw the old ones away.. hope not... 

but a little while ago i went over to the lowes to pick up a new tape measure for work cause i seem to have lost the one i had (fat max 35') gonna miss that tape had it over 2 1/2 yrs..
but i also picked up a thumb plane and a couple of 3/8" squar dowels to try the shaft making thing and then i ran or actually i was looking for some banding... and sure enough i come across two diferant types taht had been cut from there lumber area.. i talked to the guy there and he said to take it they just through it away anyways... so i came home all motovated to se if i could try aconstruct some trade points i know i read taht somebody use banding to make trade points and i thought id give it a go..
so with some tin snipes and a little force i was able to cut out some rough firld points to size i like and then a little hepl from my $30 band sander.. i got two points in a matter of minutes done... these are just a ruff design and prototype... i figured i'd try and get some something just a prototype just to do it so when i get a hold of some blades i could know more or less how i would want to cut them... but after i got these done and soo easily cut and sharpened i thought they might even be good enough to use and it didnt take me long at all.. and the steel is pretty rigid... i thought that it being from banding that it would flex and bend and the tips would be bending all over but the fact is that this banding materal is pretty stonge and took an edge fairly easily with minimal effort...  i liked them.. wonder if they would work.. anybody with experaince with this type of trade points???

i'll post  pics on this next reply...
oh by the way there is two types of banding the galvanized steel is wider and the black band steel is smaller..
galv. is at .032" thick and the black steel is at .030"  i dont have a scall to measure the grains i lent it out ot a reloader buddy of mine will try and get it back soon he is out of town for a couple of weeks...

Shooter_G22

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 02:27:48 am »
here are some more pics..  put them on a poplar dowel i had and cut the slit with a hack saw dont have a band saw yet but looking into maybe picking one up this week end.. from a cheap place out here called habor frieght tool...

Offline possum

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:43:59 am »
Nice.  Very nice.  I don't have any experience with banding so I can't comment on that but, the design looks good.  I only have one suggestion... take the pic with a Primitive Archer Mag in the background. ;) ;D ::)

possum

mebane NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:32 pm »
lmao,

i was thinking about that today man...  while i was at work i went to a jobsite this morning to do a little problem solving and conversating with a forman... and i asked him if he had any old saw blades he was like yea i think i got one or two barried in the back bed of my truck under a bunch of other crap soo we go to diggin and hunting for them... and then  he ask why i need them and i start telling him the storie and the storie about the band points and how i took pic and posted them last night....   and then i got a visual of the pics i posted and then realized that the traditional mag was in the background... lol...   i started thinking damn i should have put my pa mag in the background...lol...   i didnt mean to give the pic a TA background it was just on top of my reload bench and that is right next to my desk with the computer on it..   my PA mag is in the Head or ( restroom )  where i do most my reading...lol...

but it sure didnt dawn on me till i rescaned the photo in my head while i was talking bout it at work..   i thought about it a few times today thinking.. i hope i didnt offend anybody...

but hey...   i did aquire two 14" steel diamond tip blades (wore out of coarse)  but hey if you want i could probably send you one.... i dont think it would me cost that much to ship its just me getting out to the post office might be a delay...   anyways the offer is there let me know if you would use it, or want it... and i'll try to get it out to you...

i know i have two and i probably wont use them any time soon... and plus i could probably get more several more anytime i like i just got to put the word out to the formans to hang on to them when they change them out...   they dont get changed out all the time but they do get changed out...  so i could probably get some here and there... im sure i could get plenty more than i could ever use...   especialy since i really liked he way the band points came out... very easy to cut and shape... the only negative thing i could think about is the thickness and the weight....
but i need to way them... 

the blades probably get changed out every 4-5 months or soo maybe sooner sometimes later depending on job and material...  soo its not like i could get 2 blades every week but i could probably get a blade or two every other month... maybe more maybe less... dont really know never thaought to save em... but i sure will be asking the formans to save them now...