Author Topic: X bows  (Read 6525 times)

huey_fatman

X bows
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »
Is it possible to make an X bow? I mean a bow with two separate limbs on either side of the handle. Thanks.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: X bows
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:32 pm »
Yep.  Kinda tricky with wood, though.  Lot more labor intensive too.  I think I saw one used in an arrow flight competition?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »
I think I have seen photos of that same one, jackcrafty.  The main limb is braced against the shooter's feet and is parallel to the ground, the smaller limbs on the ends of the main limb are at right angles....more like the letter H then an X.  If I remember rightly, that guy has set some incredible records with that contraption.

It looks perilously close to a compound bow and I think we risk our eternal souls by even discussing it.  But a Penobscot/Abenaki coumpound bow is certainly orthodox and venerable!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wally

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
I know what a Penobscot looks like in fact got a couple but I can't visualize what you mean by X bow. I thought you meant crossbow. Can you describe it/draw it. Sorry to be a bit slow
and hey! Let's be careful out there

bowhuntinhillbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:34 pm »
do you mean two bows joined at the handle?

Offline wally

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:46:18 pm »
This is a Penobscot bow I'm working on. It has dead Elm standing main bow with Hawthorn front bow, lashed together in the handle.
Is this what you're thinking of?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:09:44 pm »
How about this???

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
Or this

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wally

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:45:47 am »
Now that's an interesting looking bow el destructo. I see your front bow string ties into the back bow at a lower nock than the main string. It looks like you've got extensions from that point out. How did you do that? How does bow shoot? What is draw weight?
Nice looking bow.
Ravenbeak can't quite figure out what I'm looking at. Is that one half of a double limbed bow?

Offline wally

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:48:04 am »
Oh I see now Ravenbeak. It's one bow just photo taken at odd angle. What's the advantage of this style or is it for style

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:21:56 am »
Now that's an interesting looking bow el destructo. I see your front bow string ties into the back bow at a lower nock than the main string. It looks like you've got extensions from that point out. How did you do that? How does bow shoot? What is draw weight?

The Bow String Ties in the same place that the Back Bow transtitions into a sort of Holmegaard Style Limb ....if you look at this Picture you will see....the String grooves are In the Thickest Part of the Non Working part of the Limbs....This Bow shoots great....and it can be adjusted between 45 and darn near 70 pounds....so it can be a multipurpose Bow

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wally

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 02:16:15 pm »
Hey man
   That is one beautiful bow. Never seen a Penobscot strung like that and I've seen a few. You should be proud of it, a true primitive bow.
You know what this means-I've got to try and make one-as if I didn't have enough to do already. Last bow I finished her indoors said 'haven't you got enough bows now?'
How do you answer that.
You don't mind if I try to copy it do you?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 05:50:57 pm »
                           Have at it ....there isnt no Patent on it.......... ;) Thats what this Forum is for isnt it???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:48:15 pm »
I have a couple pieces of wood standing in the corner of the shop that could be described as ex-bows...would they count?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Bowbound

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:52 pm »
Try it.

See what you get you never know it might work.