Author Topic: My Scrapers  (Read 3434 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
My Scrapers
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:25:06 am »
In another thread I mentioned the scrapers I use and several seemed interested.   I enjoyed reading what some of you all use.   The big butcher cleaver left me with a mental image I won't soon forget. 

My scrapers are spring steel, .012 " thick, VS .037" for the regular rectangular furniture scrapers that are usually available.  I don't sharpen them with a turned burr, by simply draw filing them a burr is left in place.  My feeling is that a scraper should give nice clean curley shavings, not dust and without a struggle. 

Looking forward to your ideas and thoughts.   

piper

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: My Scrapers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:38:09 am »
Nice looking bunch of tools piper. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:55:39 am »
Keith, You ought to be able to handle any scraper task with your set.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:08 am »
Thanks for showing Piper - that gives me some idears ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:29:28 am »
Got any more of that spring steel?  OR can it be harvested in the fall?  How hard is it to get the bark off?  What kind of scraper do you use to get all the bark off, or do you leave some of the cambium layer on it? >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:47:38 am »
What's up with all the rounded corners?  Don't you likes sharp corners digging into your palm or scratching your wrist?  Man, why didn't I think of that... geesh I'm slow on the upload. ::)

Those do look good.  I think I'm gonna go round my corners now.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:48:30 pm »
Not only are those rounded corners easy on your hands but they come in mighty handy with concave surfaces and around knots.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:39:20 pm »
The rounded corners were made to fit the needs of the channeling on the outside of violins and the shape of the inside of the top and back plates, and the curves of the scroll.   Corners are dangerous.....one bad move and lots of work down the drain. 

The real key here, I think, is the thin dimension of the steel.  These are really flexible.  The long, narrow one came in handy scraping the belly of that hickory bow as it would bend and make one, full width shaving .  An old Exacto saw blade, with the teeth filed off is about right.   There may be some other common things that would work as well.   

And, Yes, some of this SPRING steel can be found in the FALL.  (Thousands of comedians out of work, so what do they do?  build bows and read this forum!!   ;D)  I usually get it with the bark already off.  Geez.......

These scrapers will level a surface in 2-3 passes after the toothed plane is used.  I'll post the toothed plane in a separate thread.   I brought it home today as there has been no time to just take pictures lately.   In fact, I couldn't even steal time to work on a bow today. 

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
So Piper, are you a violin maker or a lutier(sp)?   
    My wife is a water colorist and we mat and frame her paintings. Her mat cutter used single edge blades and when they get dull I use them for fine scraping. The blades are stamped out and on the back(not blade side) one side is smooth but the other has a curl from being stamped out. This curl makes a great little scraper.
   Once I hit floor tiller a scraper is my only tool except for an occasional hit with the Nicholson #49. A full compliment of scrapers could be all you need to build bows.          Pat

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 11:29:41 pm »
Pat, you said, " A full compliment of scrapers could be all you need to build bows. "    You might be just about right.........a pocket full of scrapers and a good BROOM AND DUSTPAN!! (Married guys know this!!)

piper

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:47:30 am »
What is your source for these scrapers, do you purchase them from a Luthier Supply catalogue, or do you shape them from stock?  I have a feeling I am not the only one on this forum that wants a set like yours.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 08:52:19 pm »
I got several nice pieces of stock from a luthier supply back when i started building violins.....something over a quarter century ago (geez)......   where ever you get the stuff, go for thin, no more than .012".     The stock came in rectangles like a recipe card and then I cut the shapes i wanted.  I'll see if I can track down the supplier and post it here. 

I also use single edge razor blades for lots of things that require a STRAIGHT edge.   Buy them by the box of 100 from Harbor Freight or other surplus places for not a lot of money. 

piper