Author Topic: feather source??  (Read 13079 times)

Shooter_G22

feather source??
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »
does anybody know of a good feather source?????

what are legal feathers???   heard the term on another post...

would like to know of how to get feathers alot cheaper than $0.40 to $0.50 a piece...

any clues???

Offline sailordad

Re: feather source??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:44:13 pm »
go shoot a turkey or goose, thats as cheap as it gets lol

go look around ponds etc where you see geese hanging out and look for primary and secondary wing feathers.

cant use feathers from raptors or heavens forbid that others will throw a fit( us gov)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:51:01 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:49:56 pm »
Stay away from Raptor Feathers....Federal Fines there........look for places that Geese....Cranes....and Herons hang around...these all make good fletching....so does Turkey....and they all Shed feathers....If there is a Turkey Ranch around....they will usually let you pick up what you want....I used to get lots when I was young from around Lake Superior....the Geese would Moult every year and leave thousands of them on the Beaches
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:50:26 pm »
I've spent a lot of time looking for sources for feathers....and reading up on the laws concerning protected birds and illegal feathers.

In a nutshell, only farm raised birds produce "legal" feathers.  All other birds are protected in most states, with the exception of pigeons and invasive species.  If you're picking up wild bird feathers, call your local wildlife department and ask them if you can possess them.  Chances are the answer will be no.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the web address of an outfit that sells domesticated turkey wing feathers for 24 cents each.  If you cut them in half, then each fletch will be 12 cents.  The only catch is the shipping.....so it's cheap only if you buy quite a few.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:19:18 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:34:48 pm »
If you're like me and don't have much luck shooting some turkeys or geese yourself.  Try going to a turkey check station.  Most of the guys I run into are more than happy to part with their wings.   One hunter even was so kind as to give me the entire bird.  I have also purchased some from a web site.  If you PM me I'll send you the address.  I would post it but don't know if that is allowed.
Traverse City, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »
he gave you the whole bird, why did he even bother buying a tag if he wasnt going to eat the bird,hmm dont get it ow well his loss your gain
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:54:46 pm »
  Wow! giving the entire bird away is pretty sorry. :-\  When you get those free wings, sane the bones and put them on the Trade Post or PM me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:10:11 pm »
I have a great link. am I allowed to post it?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
Mullet, I would not call giving the whole bird away sorry.  I know a few people who love to hunt deer and turkey, but don't like to eat them.  They all have my number. ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 12:46:27 am »
look for hen rounds by the pound, I buy em' white an dye them myself, 12 cents per secondary but i use both sides coming down to 6 cents per fletch
splitting and grinding isn't a big deal at all for me
www.rainbow feathers.com
 hope this helps

Zander
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:21:19 pm by mullet »

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 05:38:04 am »
The guy that gave me the bird said he shoots about 5 a spring.  All in different states.  And didn't want that much turkey.  Maybey I looked really skinny and hungry? ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 07:07:20 pm »
  Madcrow, yea, sorry. Sorry because I didn't get it ;D ;) Hanging out at the Check Station is a good idea. I get quite a few every year that way. Most of the time I come in from hunting and find them hanging from a tree in camp. I let everybody know I want them.
Lakeland, Florida

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »
what is a check staion???

thanks for all the tips gentleman,...   zander i tried that link and it didnt work???

but yea thats kinda what i was loking for... a place that would sell whole feathers by the pound or hundred for alot cheaper than a retailer...   

i used to dear hunt on a trurkey farm in Rokdale Texas....  my uncle was freinds with the guy that ran the farm for the owner....  close to a thousand acre's i think but all his turkey were in big pen or coops or something never really went out to that part of the land...   i always wondered about the feathers for arrow making but that was way back when i would just rifle hunt...  didnt really own a bow that was powerful enough to hunt with... but i wondered becuase i always made arrows as a kid with what ever kind of feathers i could geta hold of...   back then i didnt even know enough about arrow making to know that it is turkey feathers that arrows are made of and it is the wings that are used....

but my uncle still lives in roackdale and its about 3 1/2 hrs from where i live but i asked my other uncle that i work with if he could tell him to talk to him about the guy on that farm... but he said that guy dont work for that rancher any more and dont live in rockdale.. soo he dont think he would be able to get a conect there...

soo back to squar one... :-\

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:51:59 pm »
 Check stations are where you check game killed in a Management Area. The link will work if you type it in and close the spaces. I had to modify it to keep it there.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
fixed it

Zander