Author Topic: bows in iraq? why not!  (Read 7646 times)

Offline armymedic.2

bows in iraq? why not!
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:14:29 am »
hello friends, good to see all of you again.  just thought i would stop in to announce a new project.  As some of you know i was deployed to iraq, and am currently in baghdad.  what i didn't know is there is some down time, and when i found out i had two pieces of wood shipped out to me right away.  Im a medic, and my PA who is a colonel, both love archery.  he is a wheelie shooter now, but comming around quick.  we made our first shavings today on some ipe backed with bamboo.  Im very excited about this project, because it will be my 4th and his first, and i can't believe we are going to be able to try and complete bows.  i will do my best to make pics of the process and the scenery we are working in.  both are about 72 inches long, and will be english d bows, which i have never done before.  im sure i will be asking for your expertise.  time is limited obviously, but i figure we can get em done before we have to move somewhere else.  anyway, hope it keeps ya interested, and i know there are plenty of vets on here that are probably laughing at the idea of making a bow in iraq.  gotta stay distracted somehow! will be sure to keep you posted on this thread of our progress.  felt really good to make some shavings again!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline YewArcher

Re: bows in iraq? why not!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
Have you ever heard of Camp Cuvero? John (Chessbum) and some other Michigan Long Bow association guys send bows, arrows, staves, tools etc....over to Iraq on a regualr basis.

Here is a link. You may know some of these guys,

http://www.michiganlongbow.org/new_page_3.htm

Steve

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »
 Hey G.I.   My son is a medic also.He was over there for a year and a half.His Stryker unit is back at Fort Lewis now.You guys need me to send you something ? Sandpaper,tools,wood,etc. Anything that will fit in a flat-rate box......Let me know.    Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:24:51 pm »
hey guys thanks for the responses and being so kind!  hope your son is doing well back home, tell him i said thank you for his service! so far if you could send me some humidity that would be great!  ;D  kinda worried about the bows drying out too much, since it will be a while before we finish them, but, i did see clouds today(first time in 3 weeks)!  supposedly there is a rainy season here, but i dont believe it yet.  it has cooled down quite a bit, we are high 90's and low 70's,., which makes you feel quite cold actually.  I really appreciate how quick yall were to offer us stuff.  We scrounged 2x4 from our supply guy, then went down to the motor pool and borrowed tools to build a base for the tillering stick.  the one thing i don't know, is how should i do the rest in a slight bend through the handle elb type bow,  i have always used a small piece of wood glued on with the handle wrapped up to it.  can i still do this with a bend in the handle? 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:28:04 pm »
a small wooden rest will work in the bend in the handle design,atleast it has worked for me. a little leather floppy rest would be best though, jmho

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:31:58 pm »
First of all let me thank you for your service to our country and second let me say I think that making bows while deployed is the perfect pastime, bet a lot of your buddies get bit by the bug. I would be glad to help if you need something, just let us know. I am sure almost any one of us will also. Have a safe trip and keep us posted.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:48 pm »
Someone mentioned awhile back ,that you can find water buffalo horns and even ibex horns at some of the markets. They are quite expensive here in the states .
Stay safe.

Ralph

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 05:00:16 pm »
I'm thinking send the man some Hickory. Here I have been complaining about it not doing well in my hunid environment and you've got dryness. If I had some hickory staves I would send them to you , cause I heard they are wicked fast in the desert environment. Hopefully some one that reads this and has a few extra's will take the cue. As I understand it will do 5-6% MC and not blow like other woods that are that dry.  Hope it works out well for you guys and that you get home safe and sound.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:28:40 pm »
Armymedic.2, thank you for your service to our country. 

Offline xin

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 09:23:53 pm »
DITTO on Denham Archers message and may you have a safe return to your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »
hey doc,

thats good trash that your gettting to do some bowing while your out there...   im new to bow makng so i cant help you on advise or materials or anything but just wanted to say i think its great that your gettin to do some bow making on the down time...  ;)  i know how it is to be out there in the desert heat... and well lets just say i wish i would have had that opertunity... so im glad you do...   yea doc... keep us posted and send us some pics  ;D  and keep them damn sand crabs off you man...  lol... 

thanks for your service doc...   keep safe... 

- Gonzales A.B.
former,  United States Marine...

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 09:59:44 am »
hey guys, thanks for all the support, and thanks to those who have served before me!  the colonel and i worked on the bows for a few hours today, and i have a couple of pics. nothing real special happening yet except that my left limb is too stiff, but i think i am pretty happy with the bend.  Both bows are ipe backed with bamboo, and both are 72 inchers ntn.  looking to get about 50-60lbs out of mine and not sure what the colonel is gonna end up wanting.  we are doing all the tillering work with our combat knives to make it fun.  here it is so far.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 11:54:36 am »
 Hey !   You got it going on there. Yep,little stiff there,but your on it. I use an old korean war marine K-Bar an old vet. friend gave me for a scraper.Works good. I will pass the message on to my son and keep your head down over there.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »
yup like ya said,left looks a little stiff.
with that wood combo youll be able to get any draw weight you want without any problems.

use whats handy for tools,gotta get some use out of that pig sticker lol

keep safe and proud of what you guys and gals are doing over there

peace,
                                                                                      tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shooter_G22

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:13:37 pm »

damn good to know im not the only nuckle head useing a k-bar to scrape and shape...  lol..

i feel a little better about it now..

hey doc,..

it looks  like you got a nice set up there... hell your doing better than me here stateside i still havnt even built a tiller stand like that one....   but i might have to incorporate your design there looks to be very conveniant..   and i also use my combat knife for scraping... lol..  its an old k-bar ive had along time... but it stills keeps one hell of an edge...
   well it looks like you got a good start on that one...  keep up the good work brother.. on the bow and on the job...  thanks agian...