Author Topic: Ebay Bamboo Shafts  (Read 5702 times)

PeteDavis

Ebay Bamboo Shafts
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:36:01 am »
Has anyone bought shafting from the guy in China who sells bamboo shafts on Ebay? Very reasonable pricing. Too good to be true? He makes some nice looking arrows unless he stole the photos.

PD

Offline markinengland

Re: Ebay Bamboo Shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:05 am »
PD,
That supplier does not make arrows. Pictures are of arrows made by others with his shafts.
I have dealt with him for Arrow Bamboo shafts and seen Tonkin shaft samples. Those Tonkin shafts I saw were of enormous spine rating. I am trying to pursuade him that spine is of some relevance in archery and that shaft diameter must be reduced.
If you shoot a centre shot bow of high draw weight where spine doesn't much matter then you may be OK. Otherwise you may find that many out of the batch you buy are just too stiff.
Mark in England

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:56:51 pm »
rudderbows sells straightened cane shafts on ebay for about $3 each.  the set i bought came in around 85-90# in spine.  i was hoping for 55-65# but should have known better.  i'm guessing they straighten out a bunch and keep the spine they are needing and sell the rest.  they are of average quality and will require a little re-working to make them huntable.  they will work for my 200gr stone points when i'm finished with them.  they are not a bad deal overall if you are needing to make arrows in a hurry.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:07:16 pm »
The shafts that I have and that Rudderbows sell are from the same guy in China.
Those that I got were Chinese Arrow bamboo which the supplier no longer wants to deal in because they are more work and have a higher reject rate. The Tonkin samples I saw and that the Chinese guy is selling now and that Rudderbows also buy and sell are very high in spine.
I am just about to place a failry larger order with the Chinese guy but will spine rate the shafts as I see little point in selling unspined shafts if they just will not meet an archers needs.
I have located another supplier who will be able to sell me bamboo shafts not heat tempered but very well finished and in the lower spine ratings. Trouble is I am not quite ready to order 10,000 shafts!
Mark in England

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:25:49 pm »
I am glad to see this thread, I have been considering ordering shafts from the China seller.  I think I will hold off for a while and see if he starts packaging by spine weight.
Thanks to you all for your insight.
keep it simple
make it fun