Author Topic: what is this stuff  (Read 3691 times)

Offline kayakfisher

what is this stuff
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:56:38 am »
What is this stuff and does it make decent arrows ,some of it is pretty straight and 3/8 diameter.There's quite a lot of it in the area that I hunt its growing in a low lying area if that helps.I know by the description and pictures you all posted its not red osier.I think I found some red osier today if you shoot six to eighteen inch arrows.
             Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:02:19 am by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: what is this stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:15:10 am »
Looks like sumac to me.  I tried making some arrows out of it last winter.  Got them pretty straight by just bending them by hand.  I made the mistake of leaving them hanging off a shelf and they "drooped".  By this time they had dried and set.  Instead of using heat to re-straighten, I just tired bending them and they broke.  I might try it again this winter.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:24:20 am »
Yep, probably sumac.  It's called "rhus" in the old texts and the NA's made arrows from it, sometimes with a foreshaft of harder wood.  Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble....unless you like very light arrows.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:02:38 pm »
yup sumac, if  i remember ill take my camera with, im gonna go cut osier today ;)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:54:02 pm »
It looks like sumac. Any chance of a closer-up pic?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:32:54 pm »
Yep kayak, thats winged sumac. Found it in the Mo. Dept. of Conservation tree book...Our woods here in Mo. are full of it, it grows along my driveway. I have several shoots dried but havent made arrows from it yet. You do have to watch them when you cut cuz some of the shoots have a very large pith and some dont.....DanaM made a bow from this stuff not long ago, but I think he called it by another name...oh ya, dont scrape off the bark till they have dried for awhile, they check badly otherwise.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:50:35 pm »
well i did go cut osier today,had the camera with too, but it was raining pretty good so i didnt get pics of the shrub it self

but here are a couple of pics of the shoots that i cut,just imagine it in bush shape
you can see some still have the green summer color on the base yet,but are mostly their winter red

that should gibe ya an idea what it looks like,this time of year there shouldnt be any leaves left on them,atleast not where i cut them at.
the colder it seems to get the brighter red they seem to get.they like marshy areas to grow in,usually when you see on bush there are dozens around.

good luck

peace,
                                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd