Author Topic: A squirrel's curiosity.....  (Read 8373 times)

Offline billy

A squirrel's curiosity.....
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:47:41 am »
...cost it its life.  Was hunting last weekend with a friend in north GA. We didn't see any deer, but I was sneaking up a ridge real slow and quiet when I heard a squirrel eating hickory nuts.  I eased over in his direction and the squirrel bounded thru some small saplings when he spotted me about 10 yards away.  First shot missed...never did find that arrow.  So he raced up the tree a few feet, then came back down and kept eyeing me.  The second shot went completely thru him and buried in the ground about 8 feet beyond.  Unfortunately I missed the vitals and gut shot him.  He jumped off the tree, but I could tell he was feeling really, really bad.  I've heard gut shot animals sometimes feel extremely nauseous and that's exactly how my squirrel looked...he walked away really slowly, then tried to clilmb an oak tree and I was afraid I would lose him, but only made it 20 feet up when he fell outta the tree.  I ran over to him, grabbed his back legs and slammed his head against the tree to finish him off. 

The stone point was made from a flake of chert that I found in the gravel driveway of my mom's farmhouse up in Iowa.  My brother had the driveway re-graveled with crushed limestone, but in it were small egg-sized nodules of chert.  When I was up there over the summer I knocked a flake off one of the small nodules and made a point out of it. The stone point didn't suffer the slightest damage and sure did the job on the squirrel....  It isn't a deer, but at least its something.

Equipment- osage self bow 52# @ 30", 34" rivecane arrow with dogwood foreshaft and stone point. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: A squirrel's curiosity.....
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:15:15 am »
Very nice,good shot on them fast little critters. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:37 am »
If you can hit a squirrel, shouldn't have any problem with a deer! Good shot... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:36:02 pm »
Cool....that's not an easy shot!  Sweet looking arrow too.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:04:12 pm »
 Nice looking arrow,great looking point,dead looking squirrel. I had'nt had any squirrel since 1979. (Been a long time away from the hardwoods) Good shooting !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Ranger B

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:07 am »
First off congrats on a nice little dinner....but you look like you might need two  ;D
Where in North GA?  I'm from Calhoun, just south of Dalton.  Went to school in Dahlonega at NGC.
Ranger B

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:53:02 pm »
my god, it takes alot of practice to hit that man. thats a cool stone point too, did you find the arrow material in iowa also? (besides the rivercane, the dogwood is what i meant.) good shooting man, hope to see more of your work. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:17 am »
HEy Jimmy,

Thanks for the kind words.  The arrow material came from GA, so did the dogwood for the foreshaft.  I have some longer Iowa dogwood shoots that are dry, but I havent made any arrows or foreshafts out of them.   
Marietta, Georgia