Author Topic: Honey locust  (Read 3577 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Honey locust
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:28 pm »
my father in law cut a honey locust last year just because he did not want it ther, in the edge of the woods.  He blocked it up for firewood.  AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So much for bow wood.  Anyway, I was out this morning getting some chinese privet and noticed that there was about a dozen shoots growing out of the stump, almost parallel to the ground.  Those thorns hurt too.  Has anyone ( I'm sure they have) used honey locust for shafts?  How good are they.  I found a few more places with shoots about 1/2" diameter growing.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: Honey locust
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:16:26 pm »
well, the barbs that grow off the honey locust, buckthorn, make great, great quick or survival arrow heads, I haven't killed anything with them yet, but i made half a dozen from dowel rods and buckthorn, if I were you i 'd wait till they get a little thicker, you still need to scrape the bark off, but im no pro or nothing, thats just my 2 cents. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 04:45:58 pm »
Most shoots will make arrows so I guess honey locust would. Only one way to find out! ;)  Give it a try and let us know how they worked.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline son of massey

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »
  with the spines i would probably find myself worrying a little about consistency in the wood for small diamater shafts from shoots.   at the same time, locust is hard wood, so that may cancel it out.   try it, but go for the cleaner sections first-if you get one shaft to work you know its ok stuff.  just becuase a few dozen fail doesnt mean it cant be done, so you may want to hedge the bets at the outset by taking the best pieces you can find. SOM