Author Topic: Fun with my warbow  (Read 15490 times)

Offline adb

Fun with my warbow
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:35 am »
This past Sunday was a perfect day to launch some arrows from my new warbow. It was warm for October (+10C) and no wind. I've been practicing with my warbow a bit more, and I'm able to get it back to 30" now. So... I wanted to see what kind of cast it has. Specs on the bow: 74" NTN yew selfbow, horn nocks, 80#@28". So, at 30", I'm thinking it's somewhere between 85-90#.

I made two types of arrows: First are a regular pine shaft, spined 65-70#. I made them 30.5" from valley of nock to base of head. Weight is 600 grains, with a 125 grain target point. 6" delta cut feathers, with silk wrapping only at front of feathers. Second are some replica war arrows. Also 30.5" in length, 3/8" bobtailed poplar shafts. Self nocks with horn insert, 7" hand cut delta profile feathers. 180 grain bodkin head, and a couple with a type 16 broadhead (hand forged). Weight on the war arrows was 800 grains.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:19:04 am by adb »

Offline adb

Re: Fun with my warbow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:53 am »
The look on my face pretty much says it all!!! I'm sure not used to these heavy bows, but I do love shooting them!!

OK, how far did I cast an arrow? Well, the 600 grain arrows obviuosly went the farthest, and I got 205 meters with the best shot, and averaged between 195 - 205 meters (we're metric here in Canada!).

Oh yah, I forgot to mention... I was using a golf course driving range! All the golf is done for the year, and this driving range was closed, but the gate was open, so I thought what the heck. It was handy, cuz the distances are all marked!!

With the war arrows, I was really surprised. They flew to 190 meters! I thought the cast would be significantly less, but I was surprised to find it not that much less.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:35:52 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:10:13 am »
Penetration with the war arrows was pretty impressive. It's been freezing hard here overnight, down to around -6 to -7C, so the ground was still frozen when I was shooting. With the hard ground, I was getting 6 - 7" of penetration at 190 meters!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:30 pm »
Thats pretty cool, looks like fun to me and a great use for a driving range also. :)

Nice arc on that bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:41:23 pm »
Thanks, Dana! I really wasn't sure about the driving range, but all went well. It is actually quite a safe place to shoot, as the range is entirely fenced, and out to 350 meters. I don't think it would go over very well during the summer, however!!

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »
Thats great. I have not been shooting my Warbows as of late, i dont even think I have been to this board in a few months. I have been to into my Native American bows now that hunting is here and show season is over. Where are you located adb? we should try and get together a bunch of US warbow guys and do some shooting.

Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:52:28 pm »
Hey, Steve

I live in the Great White North. Western Canada... Saskatchewan, to be exact. It'd be a treat to hook up with you and do some warbow shooting!! Michigan, however, is a long way from here!

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »
ahhh, thats to bad. I have a few guys here in Michigan and upper Indiana that I have found that shoot EWB's. Maybe one day we will have a North American English war Bow gathering. Try and get Steve Stratton, Glenan, Nick and the English Gents over here!!!!

You are really not that far, maybe 15 hours to Detroit? If we had a gathering in Lower Michigan and had it over a nice weekend we could all camp out.

Steve

Bowbound

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 02:24:34 pm »
Nice warbow. Glad i wasn't on the receiving end of one of your arrows. ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:26:18 pm »
I don't shoot warbows but I'm in Upper Michigan :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:13 pm »
That bow turned out really well Adam and the performance is great.  Way to go
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:35:44 pm »
Beautiful bow, The tiller is outstanding and good cast to go with it. Steve

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 08:28:14 pm »
Nice looking bow and looks like a ton of fun. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

triton

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:27 am »
Ah but once you're on top of that bow, it's time to make a step up, 100LB perhaps?
The tiller looks sweet, well done.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:07 am »
Triton,
Yes, I'd like to go heavier. More practice with this one for now. My next goal is to go up to about 120lbs or so. I have an outstanding 80" yew stave I'm getting psyched to make into a heavier warbow.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:18:33 pm by adb »