Author Topic: Fun with my warbow  (Read 15486 times)

Offline John K

Re: Fun with my warbow
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 08:42:27 pm »
Geez, don't blow a nut with that thing  :D It sure does look like fun.
I need one of those when i play archery golf ! BTW how many feet in a meter  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 11:12:36 pm »
Hey, John

No worries!!1 It's not as bad shooting this bow as I thought it would be. It's silky smooth to draw cuz it's so long. Yew is really amazing wood... it's very elastic. At this heavy weight, this bow has taken less than an inch of set! It seems way easier to draw than my 70# hickory backed osage bow, for example. I've really been having fun launching some heavy arrows way out there.

I'm going to post some pics of the arrows I made (& was shooting) for this bow, sometime this weekend.

Oh, yah... 1 meter = 1.1 yards. So, 200 meters is about 220 yards. Hey, John, how are those knapped heads I sent you holding up? Have you killed anything with them yet? Can you post some pics of arrows you've made with them?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:15:49 pm by adb »

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 11:32:46 pm »
Adam, Here you go. The points are great i haven't had a chance to shoot them at an animal but i'm sure they will get the job done.
The one on the left is one you sent me and the one on the right is one i knapped.

here are a couple more.

John
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline markinengland

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 06:39:22 pm »
ADB,
A word of caution.
I can pull an 80lb bow OK and 90lb with a warbow technique. I can pull 100lb but it isn't comfortable. The steps up above this seem to be big steps even if only 10lbs. While I can get a 100lb bow back to something like an anchor point (not a lot like some peoples though!) I hit a wall mid pull with a 120lb bow. If you can somehow try a 120ln bow and pull it fine but otherwise it may be worth making training bows of whitewood  or something of maybe 90/100/110 to increase strength in smaller steps before really going for an investment in a 120lb bow.
The way the bow pulls can be as important as the final draw weight. A long bow is easier than a shorter one but it may depend on where your greatest strength is in the draw.
Good luck but I would hate to see you make a wonderful monster bow and not be able to pull it.
Mark

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 10:52:54 pm »

ADB,
A word of caution.
I can pull an 80lb bow OK and 90lb with a warbow technique. I can pull 100lb but it isn't comfortable. The steps up above this seem to be big steps even if only 10lbs. While I can get a 100lb bow back to something like an anchor point (not a lot like some peoples though!) I hit a wall mid pull with a 120lb bow. If you can somehow try a 120ln bow and pull it fine but otherwise it may be worth making training bows of whitewood  or something of maybe 90/100/110 to increase strength in smaller steps before really going for an investment in a 120lb bow.
The way the bow pulls can be as important as the final draw weight. A long bow is easier than a shorter one but it may depend on where your greatest strength is in the draw.
Good luck but I would hate to see you make a wonderful monster bow and not be able to pull it.
Mark

if it wasn't pullable you could just remove more wood no?
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »
Of course!

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:42 am »
Hi,
I added some pics of the replica livery arrows I was shooting from this warbow on a new thread, if anyone is interested.