Author Topic: Fletching size..  (Read 17113 times)

Offline Cromm

Fletching size..
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »
Hi,
This may have already came up but;
What size and stlye fletchings do you use on your arrows?
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fletching size..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:15 pm »
With store bought feathers I use 5 1/2" shield cut. With primitive, I burn with my own pattern. All about 5 1/2" to 6".     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
With store bought feathers I use 5 1/2" shield cut. With primitive, I burn with my own pattern. All about 5 1/2" to 6".     Pat

Same here, high back shields, 5 1/2" long (comes out 5" after wrapping them off). I use the same with wild feathers when I have them.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:49 pm »
5" for me. haven't hunted yet though, when i do, I'll probably use 5.5"-6"

Zander

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:33:05 pm »
With normal three-fletched arrows I usually cut them 5 1/2" and in a high-back design.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:47:16 pm »
                 6" to 7" single fletch.

Offline possum

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:16:12 pm »
mine are 5" long after wrapping.  This time anyway.  I usually just wing it but these latest ones I actually measured after I bareshafted the shafts.  Well, OK, one arrow anyway. ::)  I still need to bareshaft the rest then fletch those.  I really need to kill a deer so I can get more back sinew.   :-\But my profile is starting to evolve into a high back tapering to the front... cut with scissors until I convert my heat gun into a feather burner.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:34:52 am »
heat gun into a feather burner??????   what??? how????

cromm,
    i have been using 5 " parabolic... when i started to build my own cuase i bought them befor i knew anything and they work good for me but i just got a few 5 1/2" high back sheild cuts...

looking forward to try those out but i need some shafts...

i have been told that most people who shoot seriously use the 5 1/2" highback shields... heard they drag a little bit more but are way more accurate...   but that just what i have been told... so dont know by experaince yet!!! 

i was also told that,  thats what most poeple use when they compete in traditional competition.. but i have yet to go to a comp soo once agian dont know fom experaince or from seeing for my self...   but thats what i was told...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:09 am »
I like Native American style fletching.  Here's some I've made. They range from 7" to 8-1/2" long.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:15:34 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline possum

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 09:41:19 am »
Sorry, I meant soldering gun.  El Destructo, I believe, posted a pic of his.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Bowbound

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
I use about 4" fletches. Shield style but i cut them lower than they normally come. Just what works for me!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 10:48:41 pm »
jackcrafty,

WOW !!!   those are some nice arrows...   i havnt seen vary many like that,  i like the long low profile look...   how do they fly???   i think im going to have to play around with something like that in the futer...  with the natural shafing that im going to be harvesting... and dry'n over the winter.. i really like the look..

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:21:13 am »
They fly pretty good.  They have been shot quite a few times and they've been out in the weather...so they are a bit ragged..but they still fly pretty good.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

jape

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 01:20:31 am »
I have been experimenting all year with tuning and fletching different shafts in differing ways, and despite all the existing wisdom around, for ranges up to 50 metres I am now using 2.5 and 3" put on straight. I am getting flat flight, straightening fast (well within 15 metres) and penetrate the same as 4 and 5". These are 450+ shafts with 125/150 points. BH OK too! The other good thing is they are quiet. I use them in two bows, a board longbow and a longhorn recurve with no difficulty changing over.
Why would you use long fletches if the arrow is good?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:36 am »
I shoot at very short ranges.  Long fletches allow the arrow to recover much quicker.....so instead of straightening within 15 meters, they straighten within 1.5 meters.  If they are cut low and applied straight, the overall drag is greatly reduced.  Otherwise, a flu-flu arrow would be the best choice for quick recovery.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas