Author Topic: Fletching size..  (Read 17112 times)

Offline adb

Re: Fletching size..
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:40 am »
Remember: the longer the fletch, the higher the profile, the further it's mounted back on the shaft, and the more it's helically fletched... the more steerage correction it provides.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:24:31 pm by adb »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 11:24:47 am »
Ideally you want the smallest fletching as you can get away with for the shooting style and arrows you have. Fletchings are the steering mechanism for the arrow and they steer by drag. The more drag the slower your arrow goes. The slower your arrow goes the more arc your arrow has in flight. Add a broadhead to that mix and that changes the dynamics. Straight fletch or helical are other options also. The more helical you put in your arrow the more it spins and the quickest it recovers from paradox...but the slower it goes. I use a JoJan straight fletcher with a slight off set and 5 1/2" high back shield feather cut. For me, my shooting style with mostly self bows and with broadheads and field points this set up works best for me.
   Flight shooters use very small fletchings so there is less drag but enough to straighten out their arrow as soon as possible to get the most distance out of their shot. As the event criteria changes from one style of bow to another so does the fletching so someone shooting in the hunting bow class will have larger fletching than someone that is just trying to shoot farther than anyone else.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:44:08 pm »
pat,

i use the Bitzenburger, R W H clamp... cuase that what came with it when i got it from cabela's and right wing feathers...  i didnt know what i was doing and i never read the instuctions when i got it home i just started playing withit and its pretty self explanitory... but i'm still messing around with the adjustments and differant curve and anlge's this thing has i dont know what is supossed to use for what but i think its col it has all the differant adjustments... just wish i knew what they were all for...

i got the right wing clamp cuase im right handed but i dont know if that what is right...   but i have been wanting to get the other two clamps to try and mess around with them as well but i havent picked them up yet...

and i havent got the left wing feathers but im loking into gettting some whole feat hers later and if i splite them then i get both right and left wing out of one feather right????
so i will need to get the other clamps.. right???

i dont know enough about this stuff but it sure is fun learning.. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 04:00:23 pm »
It doesn't matter if you are right or left handed. You can use either R or L feathers as long as are all the same on an arrow.  With secondary feathers you can split them and have a left and a right feather so if you do this, don't mix them up.    The Blitz has a lot of settings so you can fine tune your arrows. If you are shooting Olympic archery that might be necessary but for me it isn't. I can get good enough flight with a simple set up. Keep experimenting with different styles and sizes as well as amount of helical. I don't think all three clamps are necessary unless you just want to do more experimenting. You might try the straight against your RH but the LH won't be much different from the RH as for arrow flight.
You can also tie them on by hand and put whatever helical or not and right handed or left without having to buy more clamps.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John K

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
I've mainly been using 4 4", i like this because then i don't have to worry about where the cock feather is.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Cromm

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 08:42:28 pm »
John K; That's a good idea for fast shooting,i may have to try that one out.....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 11:35:02 pm »
I don't worry about the cock feather either. Some of my arrows shoot better with the cock feather in and some out. That's where figuring out spine and the stiffest side of the arrow comes into play.    Pat

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 09:21:47 am »
I use 3 4in ,I don't like them on the handle when on the bow and with a low brace, 5 or 5 1/2 feathers rides on the pass through on the handle.If you have the right spined arrows it really
don't matter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 09:38:36 pm »
  I like 4 fletch also, and shooting the cock feather in or out makes no difference in flight. Try it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 12:58:53 am »
...and  many times with cane or shoot arrows if the arrow doesn't fly correctly , flip it over and try it. Good chance it will fly well.   ;)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »
you guys use the banana fletch? i've seen it, but it dosen't look very effctive... or appealing, I use the 5" from the footed shaft. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline John K

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 04:18:25 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the banana fletch...just don't like the look.
Here is a 5" 3 fletch i did they where cut with a scissors.

JohnK
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 04:43:48 pm »
On the modified 2 fletch I use I burn the feathers in an almost banana cut. So far that shape works best for me with that style fletching. Kenneth(Little John) shoots a banana cut and really likes it but I prefer a 5 1/2" high backed shield cut or my version of it.     Pat

Offline Kegan

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »
I use three fletch, but if the spine is right, it doesn't matter if the cock feather is in or out. Helps when you are concentrating onwhat you want to shoot (like squirrels ;)).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »
  I like the banana fletch. My set of 4 fletch arrows are banana cut. But I had to do them that way because I cut all my fletching upside down for a dozen arrows.When I realized what I did, I re -cut them right side up and had short, banana cut fletching. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?