Author Topic: Fletching size..  (Read 17110 times)

Offline michbowguy

Re: Fletching size..
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 11:49:53 pm »

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:55 pm »
thats a pretty cool fletch, is it very durable? if it is, and if it flies well, thats something i might look into, although i think that might get f'ed up in the brush pretty easily... but it kinda looks more like a flu flu in a way ;D yeah, i like the high sheild in the back, but if any other design preforms better ill use that. personally, i like the most vibrant, biggest possible fletchings on a bow possible, like 12 fletchings per arrow, 7 1/2 inches ea.  ;D jk -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:26 am »
they dont catch as much wind as you think as these feathers i had were "thin,and light weight",and they folded down real easy.

i like to use big points and i shoot close range,so size of fletch for me is a good thing.

they are all natural and mostly waterproof,and very quiet.

on target arrows i cut and use alot smaller length and height feathers..
and actuall i just tie on some smaller 3 inch overall feathers on on the "animal" end of the feather and just wrap it on tight.
then i just let the back of the feather just "be natural",no ties or cuts.
i use the smaller inner wing feathers for this or crow feathers.
jamie

Offline cummins

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:14 am »
they dont catch as much wind as you think as these feathers i had were "thin,and light weight",and they folded down real easy.

i like to use big points and i shoot close range,so size of fletch for me is a good thing.

they are all natural and mostly waterproof,and very quiet.

on target arrows i cut and use alot smaller length and height feathers..
and actuall i just tie on some smaller 3 inch overall feathers on on the "animal" end of the feather and just wrap it on tight.
then i just let the back of the feather just "be natural",no ties or cuts.
i use the smaller inner wing feathers for this or crow feathers.
jamie
Do they fly straight being only tied in front and rest of the feather Loose?Cool Ron
Recurve Shooter hunter,Kodiak Mag ,Looking to shoot Longbow

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 04:16:53 am »
sure do,as the feathers are smaller and with the ends not tied they slow the back of the arrow nicely.

that is the main purpose for fletching you know....
is to keep the nock end of the arrow from surpassing the point end and to hlep guide the arrow with large broadheads,so the broadheads dont "plane" or steer the head in the direction "it" wants.

if you have the propper combination of weight spine in your arrow choice you dont really need feathers.
i just like to use them.
jamie

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 05:56:20 pm »
"if you have the propper combination of weight spine in your arrow choice you dont really need feathers"

I've been bare shaft testing my last few dozens and I am prepared to swear by that technique.  I end up with a 5 inch fletch that is about 3/8th inch tall at the back tapering down to nothing at the front.  Not much surface area to drag, but since I get a better spine match to the bow, who cares.  Enough is sufficient, more is superflous.  Or should I say superflu-flus?

Of course you have to be diligent in your release because your fletching is not overengineered. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MikaelMazz

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:53 pm »
I use feathers that are simmular to michboys but I do tie mine on the back and then fold them over and tie them in front. I use these with big heavy wooden blunts but also with no points at all eccept the sharpened arrow and in both cases they fly well and are as accurate as the normal 3 feather fletch. Also they shoot good over distance. They spin very well. I use this on all my arrows and like it alot.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »
on the arrow pic abobe i tied and folded the back portion of the arrow.

im now testing out some "new" style of feather styles and hopefully they will be in the magizine for all to see!

jamie

Ranger B

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 08:52:20 am »
I've wrestled with this quite a bit.  I love arrows.  I think they are beautiful and nothing makes them more beautiful than a big precisely cut feather, but feathers help and hinder performance.  As posted above, if the spine and weight is right you don't need much feather, but reality is we all need a little help correcting the arrow and the feather does that beautifully.  A big set of feathers will correct most anything, but it really slows the arrow.  If you want to see just how much get in a big field with a 4 inch low cut feather and shoot it by aiming at the top of the trees then do the same wit a flu flu.  I've ended up with a 5" on most of my arrows.  I do a shield or traditional cut.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »
that is true as well my friend but why are you shooting at anything soooo far with a flu flu???
just a fecicious statement, but im getting somewhere with this....

ive shot large feathers with real  big broadheads to stabilize them VERY quickly in close quarter situation, whereas if you use shorter low profile "faster" feathers it would take a bit more to stabilize.

i never shoot over 20 paces...mostly 10-15 paces...all my whitail deer are taken at close range.i hunt strictly from the ground with not alot of camo as well.

i guess if you are wanting to stabilize a big head quicker....use a larger fletch....
if you want the extra 4-6 fps gained by the arrow with smaller feathers, that is an option as well, but i find "cut" feathers make more noise in the bush and by your bow.

full feathers,but cut lengthwise shorter seem to work well for me...
look at new post and i will drag up some pics of some of my feather test arrows..

jamie