Author Topic: natural arrow material i have available... what is this ???  (Read 8740 times)

Shooter_G22

natural arrow material i have available... what is this ???
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:21:18 am »
Ok gents,

i have a few pics id like to post here of some stuff that is all over the woods, that me and the kids hike and train in...

a couple of months ago the kids on the paintball team asked if i could teach the survival training and i said wed get to it and then we ran into an archery range in the wood we train in and soo i had a few fiberglass youth long bows and some arrows and we started workin on archery and of the boys asked if i could show them how i used to make stick bows when i was a kid so i did and we grabed some of this stuff and made some basic survival arrows and then i went ahead and made a primitive arrow out of one of the shafts we collected... and the boys were like WOW we need to learn how to do all this stuff sooo that's what lead me here to this sight...
    anyhow...
i got off work today and grabed my daypack/hydropak... and my pit bulldog and went on a little hike to grab some of this Natural arrow material and some pics so i could post it and see if ya'll can help me figure out what the heck this stuff is..

our woods are infested with this stuff soo on a good week end with me and the team we could probably harvest a hundred or so of this shaft stuff with out hiking over a 1/4 mile... and we have a pretty good hiking trail and plenty of woods but i mean it if i told the kids to scatter out and harvest about a dozen shafts each then they could probably do it in about 10-15 min.. easily... we have alot of this stuff around...

so here are the pics i have quite a few pics so im gonna have to post several msg's bare with me... and please let me know if this is good stuff..  i feel that it is i made a fairly decant arrow with it but i cheated cause i coated it with polyerthan and i used modern glue on the tip and fletch tape on the feathers to hold them in place to wrap the waxed nylon sting i bought a few yrs back @ tandy leather to stitch my leather sheeths for my forged knives...

ill have to take a pic of that arrow ltr... here is the pics of what i gathered up today...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: natural arrow material i have available... what is this ???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:32:01 am »
That almost looks like Japanese privet. It makes good heavy shafts but checks easily if you strip the bark too soon. I would bundle a mess of shoots and store them in a cool dry place for a few months before working them. If it has cluster of small blackish berries then it is privet(Legustrum).    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:32:23 am »
that was the wrong pic sorry these are waht im talikn about

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:36:44 am »
I'd still say privet. That seems to have a little bit different growing habit but the opposite leaves look like privet to me.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:26 am »
going to try again

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:10:40 am »
Dog and the last one was a KNIFE!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:12:08 am »
debarked

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:13:17 am »
last one !

Shooter_G22

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:16:37 am »
these i grabed look to be a little thin next time i go out im going to make sure i get some a little thicker..

ok but those are  the pics and like i said i got lots of this stuff available to me i just dont know if its worth the harvest and dry time and work to put into them??? 

anybody know what this tuff is and how and what's  the best way to work it???   

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:26:44 am »
You're in Dallas, right?  Looks like Yaupon holly to me...it grows all over central Texas.  It makes excellent arrow shafts and was a favorite of NA's.  Peel the bark off right away (the bark is really tough to get off if you let it dry with the bark on) and seal the ends with wood glue (or whatever) and dry them in a warm place.  They don't check much (if any) and they dry in as little as two weeks.  The wood is very white, light weight, and sands easily.  They are difficult to straighten, so cut only the straightest ones you can find.  It is very similar to privet.....but lighter in weight.
Here's a pic of Yaupon holly:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:46:28 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:52:41 am »
I'll second the holly-either yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria), or some other species that I'm not familiar with. I've made decent arrows from winterberry holly (I. verticillata).
PS-when asking for a plant ID, a location is quote helpful.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:41:56 am »
I can see the serrated leaves that are common with all hollies. I'll have to change my vote to holly and probably yaupon.    You can roast the leaves to make a strong, caffine filled tea that the Native Americans used for ceremonies. The specie name indicated the reaction from drinking the recommended dose.     Pat

Offline possum

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:21 am »
Really now, Jack, you expect me to believe that?  That's a bird.  Even I know that one. ::)

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »
Possum....heheh....since yer so smart, what kinda bird is it? ;D  And don't say "A little bird".... ::)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 12:32:46 pm »
Looks like a female bluebird to me. ;D