Author Topic: problems with broadhead flight  (Read 12701 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
Re: problems with broadhead flight
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 11:13:07 pm »
 hmm....... well, i havent seen the video-but i read the book, it sounds very similar, its more of actually aiming the arrow vs instinct correct? it sounds like a good one though, i got a good movie on boo backed bows by dean torges, he goes through alot of the broadhead designs and what not-if you ever see it, buy it, its a good one, even if you're real primitive, the knowelege of alot of this stuff that he covers is good to know, and very intresting too-thanks, jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 07:11:18 pm »
The video goes into form a good deal. Hill's book covers his aiming method, but doesn't really go into form. I've started to see why I miss, so I can correct it- and my consistency has gone way up.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:49:34 pm »
really? thats awesome- my consistancy is where my problem is to, bro- my first few shots are great, then the last few that are 3- 6 inches off :P it sounds like a great video though, do you know where you could buy it? there's a trad archery shop called the footed shaft in minnesota, the second biggst retail in the US, next to three rivers, but the shop isnt too big, a nice place. Im in illinois, my dad heads up there every six weeks, so they might have it- but these guys were shooting longbows correct? I was shooting a small heavily recurved bow today at my buddy's house, i didnt realize how much diferent shooting that kinda bow is! yeah, howard hill was a great archer man, i never realized how any game there were in the everglades until i read his book, a great read too. thanks, -jimmy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 02:40:59 pm »
Got to 3 Rivers website and request a catalouge. It's in there, they'll send it tright to your door :). Yes, they are shooting longbows. John Shulz (the man doing the shooting and teaching in the video ) is shooting an American fiberglass backed longbow (alot like your Bear bow).

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 10:30:17 pm »
 oh god, half the trools and strings i have is from 3 rivers! tanks man, will do for sure. I was going to buy a bow from there actually, but now i got that bear, im set. do you ever make bows with glued on risers? i know its not primitive, so maybe you dont, but i finishd the pistol gripriser today, tomarrow im going to work on the taper/tiller, 1.5 inch tapering to 3/4 inch, 64 inches long, 10 1/2 riser. im not sure how to tiller it, im guessing stiff fades, stiff tips, and alot of md limb bend... which im kinda trying to avoid. thanks, jimmy.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:45 pm »
I would do so mroe often (glue on risers) if my glue joints weren't so attrocious ;D! I like the freedom of amterial it gives to make it fit right. Most of the time, though, leather winds up as the handle material. More forgiving to my crappy glue-ups :D. As for the tiller, a circular, with a stiff center, tiller seems best for bows under man's height. Bending tips, bending just outside the fades. All the super stiff ones I've made came out way under weight.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 06:52:52 pm »
 yeah, likewise, the riser bows ive made have all been about 20 pounds. this one's a monster, im hoping this one will be a beauty. so you wouldn't change the tiller a whole lot? i made a recurve last week with glued on padouk recurve bits, the riser popprd right off.... obviously a little too much bend in the handle i guess. well im going to get a camera this week, I'll post the bow within the next few days- the handle is kinda a knockoff of a savannah longbow, amazingly comfortable.yea, glue ups are hard if you don't have a plainer, i need to get one myself. -jimmy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:32 pm »
To help with that leave the wood under the limbs thicker (about 18" or more) and really make the fades concave. Helps me.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 12:03:06 am »
 oh, so there is alot of bend in the fades? I thought it was the other way around, but it does make sense. oh, I think i know why my consistancy was off on my selfbow, do you shoot underspine arrows if the bow aint centershot? I was thinking maybe its too stiff to bend arouund the riser, but thats just a thought. thanks, -jimmy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 06:11:32 pm »
I meant to type more than an 1/8" thicker than the wood jsut outside the fades. Resulting in stiff fades, but a more circular tiller to the limbs. But yes, for non centershot bows the spine is under. I'm shooting 60-65# arrows for my 76# longbow.

And I managed to knock a bottle cap out of the air last night with that set up :).

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 08:13:09 pm »
 nice shootin- I had a little hickory bow snap on me today, my glued on riser had an arrow shelf cut in it, and the riser popped off. so, i figured go with it, had it nicley tilleres at 20, pulled to about 26, crack! right at the shelf. im actually going to laminate a bow tonght, no strech wrap tough... thank you duck tape ;D lol im not so sure on how that's going to work, i don't have many clamps, so it's going to have to do. thanks-jimmy