Author Topic: hickory stave too narrow?  (Read 8320 times)

Offline tsa yo ga

hickory stave too narrow?
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »
hey ya'll
i need some advice.  i have a stave of hickory roughed out and drying.  it is hickory and only a hair over an inch in width and about 60" long.  it was a sapling and it is the best start i've made yet.  is it too narrow?  i am hoping it will become a bow, not just more kinlin.

Offline Mechslasher

Re: hickory stave too narrow?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »
it would make a perfect eastern woodlands d bow.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:55:15 pm »
At that narrow width, it'll probably take a fair bit of set. Is the stave dead straight? If you lose anymore width when you cut your profile, it won't help. I usually make my hickory bows (self or backed) at least 1.5" at the fadse, sometimes wider. 1" would be OK with osage. That said, give your stave a go... why not?!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:13 pm »
Yep just right for a good D bow.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:01:58 pm »
Tsa Go Ya, that's fine ol boy. Go for it. I have a short version of an eastern woodlans D bow, that's 48" long, only about an inch wide. Pulls 45lbs at 20" and never did take much set. I don't see any problem with your stave-just don't take it any narrower than that, except at the tips.

~~Papa Matt

Bowbound

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:37:30 pm »
Well ya can't put the wood back on! Leave it as wide as it is now an hope for the best. Tillered to a D bow and you might get away with little set.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:11:41 pm »
We made a Community Bow a couple years ago that was a replica of a Cayuga eastern Woodlands deflex/reflex design. It was red hickory,  about 60" long, 1 1/16" wide, and pulled in the high 50's at 28" without excessive set. Make it bend through the handle and heat in a little reflex before tillering.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
thats a nice looking bow there hillbilly ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:47 pm »
As Hillbilly said, temper the belly, and you won't have a problem, especially when it's a nice D bow. Hickory's a geat wood so long as you manage to get it dry enough.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:15 am »
I think it would work perfectly. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Hickory, but theoretically the high crown on the back should be great. I've heard that Hickory's back can overpower the belly, causing excessive set. With a high crown bow, this would even out.
I say go for it.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:51 am »
I have made a few just like that out of saplings about 60 inches and bend through the handle
that turned out in the low 50's @26 and didn't take a lot of set.I just split it down the middle and had a flat belly and crowed back.It worked fine,like adb I usually ,when I have enough wood
make them 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 but you have to use what you have.Go for it.Just make sure you
keep the hickory dry and tiller slow in several sessions and it should make a fine bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:25:09 am »
thats a nice looking bow there hillbilly

SD, all I did on that one was cut the stave and rough out the profile. Pat bent the curves into it, Marc St. Louis tillered it, Minuteman fine-tuned and sanded it, and Mullet did the finish and decoration. It turned out to be a good shooter, it's a pretty close replica of a Cayuga bow in the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers. There's an article about the building of it in the Summer 2006 (vol 14 issue 2) PA.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 09:58:06 am »
h.b. you all did a fine job making that one then,simply  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline shamus

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:39:37 am »
too narrow, too short.

maybe if you made a D bow with a flat belly, and kept the draw length under 27", you might be okay.

otherwise, I'd make a woman's or a kid's bow out of it.

Offline tsa yo ga

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 11:59:13 am »
 Thanks for the input everybody.  The stave will stay 1'' wide and i will go slowly with the tillering.  I have a good feeling about it, it might be my first hunting weight bow.  It has some natural reflex and is fairly straight, one end does bend a bit.  I will attempt to temper the belly, could someone let me know how that works?  It is bending, but not much.  I will post some pics soon if my better half can figure that out.  thanks again for the encouragement.  Jay