Author Topic: Bow making opportunity  (Read 3842 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Bow making opportunity
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:14 pm »
We have a Rennesaince Faire near here and a buddy of mine has a table there.  He wants a group of quickly made "sort of " ELBs to sell there.   So, off i go to make a bundle of SIMPLE ELBs......probably more like flat bows, of ash or oak , to sell to the folks dressing up to attend the Faire.  I am actually looking forward to the opportunity to make a bunch of bows, tiller them quick, make some strings and learn more about the science of bow making and possibly turn a buck, too . 

At times it might be better to TURN A BUCK than have to BUTCHER A BUCK. 

I'll keep you posted as it all proceeds.  I am thinking that these can be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 " wide, and 68" or so tall and pulling 25 pounds at 30" will keep them in one piece till they leave the grounds. 

If I'd learn to speak Chinese I could really go into mass-production.   ;D

piper

Offline benjamin

Re: Bow making opportunity
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:45:15 pm »
Sounds good. I've sold bows for $200 or less. The longer the better in this case. Most of the people there are going to want to draw them 40'' and dry fire them cause they just don't know any better. Light weight is the correct idea too. If they're really serious, they can talk to use about a real shooter. Stay there or leave a sign or something. You might be one of the lucky guys who gets to do this for a living.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:13:22 am »
The fellow running the booth has made Native American osage bows and will direct the buyers, at least the first time they draw back.  I have been thinking that I should put a "draw length" string, from the bow to the nock point, 24-26 inches.  If they take them off, they are on their own.  And, no, there will be NO ARROWS available. 

I have lots to do "for a living", but I never complain about picking up some change to put in the cookie jar. 

Piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 09:42:56 am »
With the right lumber you could come up with a formula for a basic bow and do most of the work on a band saw. You should be able to make them for not much money.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:05:14 pm »
I've made a few longbows for the Ren-faire crowd. ;)  They prefer 35lb, 30" draw, and 72" long (in most cases)....and horn knocks if possible.  Some of them know their stuff really well, so you might want to make a couple high quality bows (from ash) for every dozen "utility" bows (red oak).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Bowbound

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 08:38:55 am »
What a good opportunity!

See if you can get some of them making their own bows soon too.

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:16 pm »
Here are some pics of several bows I have made during the last week or so, fitting them in between answering the phone and doing my REAL JOB. 

Two are hickory and one is Ash.   All are 72" and pull 35 to 40# at 27". 

Grips and more oil required on all of them......
Thanks to all you addicts for posting all the great info.  (OK, keeping my fingers crossed that the pics show up....)

Piper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:33:44 am »
3 Bows in a week!!........must be nice to have such Spare Time!!! I haven't finished a Bow since Spring.........and don't see a Day off between now and Thanksgiving either!! They all look really nice to me ...Piper....keep it up......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:37 am »
I have started hanging around with a Chinese familly, and I have become more insustrious and work faster.   Actually, my violin shop is actually well equipped to make bows and that makes some jobs mush easier.  Who'd a thunk it?   I  could have been making bows instead of violins this whole time!!

Piper

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:38:21 am »
Piper, my dad used to collect violins...except we call them fiddles!  :)  I have three of them now, but the wife doesn't like for me to make noise with them.  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 11:03:17 am »
     Several years ago I was asked to make a bunch of bows for a re-inactment group. I think I made 20 bows in one weekend. Sawed them out on a bandsaw, then tillered them all with first belt sander and then hand tools, I think I spent 40 min each on them, no sanding. I have run into some of them over the years still shooting.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:33 am »
Piper...has nothing to do with this Thread...but shoot me your website again....I lost it........and I have a Buddy in Harbor Springs that is into Violins....and I think he has one that He needs rebuilt....hey do you ever mess with Banjo's??? PM Me
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:17:35 pm »
Holy moly. Those are some very fine bows! If I were asked to make some "sorta ELB's" to sell off, they'd be painted red oak sticks cut out with a saber in bulk :o!

[attachment deleted by admin]