Author Topic: road kill feathers?????  (Read 15039 times)

Shooter_G22

road kill feathers?????
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:01 am »
ok gents,

i know i have been asking alot of questions here lately and most about arrow and or arrow making...  but that is kinda what i have been focusing on here this past week or soo...
and with that being said,  obviously its been on my mind and even while i'm at work or on the drive to and from jobsite and what not, i obviously am thinking on how to's and planning and gathering idea's and then all of the sudden out of the conner of my eye i see something on the side of the High way with a wing sticking up flattering in the wind ....   sooo i slow down and look all ways to get a better glimps of it as i pass it doing 65 mph...   so i didnt see what it was but i was sure it was there and it was dead...   soo i travil bout 5-6 miles or so to the next exit and i turn my truck around and head back and then bout 7-8 miles i find the next turn off to come back to where i saw the feathers...   

well i find them and i get off the truck and i look at this dead bird that is sitting on a ant pile and the bird part is allmos completly decompossed... so i start to look at this thing ans soo i decided to take out my trust blackjack camerra phone that i have been talking all my pics on and i shoot a few shots of this bird to see if you guys can help me figure what this is?????   and if these feathers would be of some use?????????   i know it is eithere an eagle or hawk or maybe a buzzerd of some sort...  i know it is really decopmpossed but i treid to take as many pics that icould itn the little time i hade to snap the photo's ...

soo any help and advise would be appreciated...
i know i had asked about leagle feathers but i dont know what are the rules about road kill???

anybody... i will pos pics usually on or two at a time so bare with me...thanks....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

Re: road kill feathers?????
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:26:48 am »
try agian....

Shooter_G22

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:34:46 am »
trying again..

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:37:52 am »
pic

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:56 am »
BUZZARD

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:13:46 am »
Yep, the head gave it away....buzzard.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:16:33 am »
Not sure what the laws are where you are,you ant supposed to have them here in TN. but if
I need them I dout anyone will be checking my arrows as long as I don't try and sell them
or take them out showing them off. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53:55 am »
Buzzards, like all raptors,  are federally protected and even road kills are protected. A found feather is illegal to possess so you best leave that one alone.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Don

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 09:59:52 am »
Thats good to know Pat.

Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
Many songbirds are also protected. Check your DNR website for your local laws about all birds.  Some you can posses but you can not buy or sell them.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:52 am »
Yep, buzzard feathers apparantly make good fletchings, they were used a lot by the tribes in this area. But, as others have said, it is illegal to possess any kind of feathers from birds of prey, including hawks, eagles, owls, vultures, kites, and falcons, etc.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
I am like Pappy If I need them and know I did nothing wrong except salvaging some feathers, I would feel moraly ok with it. Like Pappy said I doubt my arrows would ever be checked.   But that is just me, never did like the feds telling me too much about what to do. I will get you some goose feathers off to you and better ones when the season starts back up.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:50 pm »
 Looks Like a road island red to me.  >:D ;D
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
Thanks for posting.....confirmed my thoughts that goose feathers look a lot like buzzard.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »
  Yep, those are some "go straight to jail feathers," unless you hunt by yourself and hunt private property. And they look nothing like Goose feathers, the light shining through is making them look light gray. I have had a Wildlife Officer look at my arrows with White Pelican feathers, the primaries are dark black and irradescent green, thought they were cool looking and had no clue what they were.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?