Author Topic: road kill feathers?????  (Read 15037 times)

Papa Matt

Re: road kill feathers?????
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 05:23:55 pm »
I think when it comes down to it, what we have a problem with is the government telling us, as grown men what and what not to do, with a few simple feathers that we find on the road. But if we're really gonna complain about the gov't telling us what to do, we should complain about a whole lot of other things first. For example, how the government can force me to wear a seatbelt in my truck, supposedly for my own safety, but then the guy that pulls up beside me riding a Harley that weighs 1/4 as much, doesn't even have a helmet on, much less a seatbelt. It comes down to cowardess and theft. The gov't knows that they can pull over the average car or truck with no problem, but as soon as they try to pull over the Hell's Angels and tell them to get off the Harley because it's not safe to ride since it doesn't have a seatbelt, they're likely to get shot in the face by one of the other 20 or 30 riders in the gang. They leave them alone and go after us individuals. I don't want to jack the thread Im just giving an example. 

But in this case, I think the government has a reason for putting this law in place. to possess a raptor feather is to value it, and to value it is to make use of it whenever you can, which means constantly being on the look out for some. And as usual, a few idiots ruin it for everyone. Example: What would stop someone from seeing a buzzard or other large bird, on the road, and being slower to take flight and perhaps preoccupied with eating their roadkill, speed up and cream it, just to get the feathers? Basically, if you possess a raptor feather, there's no way of proving if you did or did not kill the bird to get it, in whatever way. And I think that's where it comes from.

But we'll each do whatever we do when the time presents itself. Hopefully we can all find a supplier of wild turkey feathers and get enough that way to where we don't have to resort to picking up feathers with maggots crawling through them anyway.   :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 10:50:23 am »
Don't think of 'em as maggots....think of 'em as "happy, wriggly rice". 

There are many sources for good quality feathers, I personally like the guy I found thru P.A. magazine advertising, Custom Feathers out of Chillicothe, Mo.  Speedy service, reasonable prices, and an honest guy making an honest buck. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 11:27:41 am »
I'm sorry guys but it is illegal whether you get caught or not. Forget the fine for a minute and think about what the publicity would do to the primitive community if it made it to the national news that we were using raptor feathers.  I guarantee every news outlet in the country would make it their top story.

Kenneth has all the goose feathers he needs and plenty to trade.  Lots of other guys have turkey feathers to trade.  If those two options don't work for you go to the golf course pond and gather up all the domestic goose feathers.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 12:26:10 am »

Shoot G-22; Yeah the best bet is to just let it go back to the earth.   Like it was said, you know you would'nt have done anything wrong, but if the public found out, and as the PETA, other nut cases, go they would love to twist that out of proportion.
Yes they would make excellent feathers.  In a real survival situation go for it.  Other wise leave it.  As for if certain feathers would make good fletchings, if it is a feather, and of sufficient size it will make good fletching.  Some of the original Indian arrows, had everything from crow feathers, to blue jays.  I don't know how well the Anhinga ( Water Turkey, Snake bird etc. ) would do, due to the lack of an oil gland, on the bird to oil the feathers.  As long as it is dry it should work just fine.  Heck chicken feathers work fine.  Look at the oriental fletchings.  Pheasants.  Just a chinese chicken.  Got a feather?  Try it.

Wayne