Author Topic: i need help on stave's  (Read 8035 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: i need help on stave's
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:58 am »
that's three different trees there Ronnie - that one is David (Ridgerunner) in AL. I tried splitting an elm last week and had to give up - take it to the table saw to chew on it for awhile. I haven't attacked the hackberry yet but am sure it'll be a bear.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cracker

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:04 am »
I made some long thin wedges out of some ar400 plate that work really well on tugh wood. If you would like to try some let me know.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:05 am »
    Elm is a Biotch with it's interlocking Grain....I would rather Split Hedge all day than any Elm Tree!!! I always use my Wedges          and a Bow Saw....  the Saw to cut the Interlocks....so the Log will split easier....saves a lot of energy....and in My Case RAGE!!!
                             And Cowboy...Hackberry is also pretty Tough.....but not so bad as Elm!!

Be careful Shooter......and try another Snatch Strap....they have more give....and won't snap like a Chain will
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:21:03 am »
I started out like you, thinking any osage had bow making potential. I brought a bunch of stuff home that was really firewood not bow wood. Most of the stuff in your truck is not bow wood. Look for at least 4" diameter, 36" or longer(for billets), trunks or limbs without branches.

One tends to get excited about finding the yellow wood, especially if you don't have any. Having pulled a bunch out of brush piles myself, I found out pretty quickly what was worth the effort and what was just junk.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »
here is the split pic..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 01:11:21 pm »
another pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 11:05:32 pm »
 well... its worth a shot, i'd definetly check to see if they had any thicker hunks, but i'm sure you can make a caveman bow from what I saw in that pickup bed. good luck man, keep us posted. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 09:26:00 am »
Looks like thier may be a billet or two in there Shooter. May have to chase em down toward the center to get out of those cracks. Hard to tell without being there :). I'd probably go ahead and cut the log below the knot, split those two section's in half then split right up that crack (like a piggy back stave) then start chasing a ring on the inner part of the log.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 09:37:46 pm »
                                                      Still Looks Like Firewood to Me.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome