Author Topic: first bamboo arrow...  (Read 7294 times)

Shooter_G22

first bamboo arrow...
« on: October 20, 2008, 02:28:33 am »
well gents....

this is my first bamboo arrow...  well i remember when iwas a kid i know i have to of tried bamboo befor becuase i remember the nods cuting my the skin over my thumb and pointer becuase i didnt know how to remove them proper bck then and i know i never fletched them or tip them... backl then i would just find the straightest sick and make an arrow until it brock or i lost it...

how ever since i have been on this msg board i have seen and read sooo many threads about boo or cane arrows and i have to admit i didint or dont know what all the  "WHOOPBLAH" is all about...

but know that i have recieved some bamboo from "Madcrow" that has been dried out some and he gave me some basic intsructions on how to work the boo a little bit ... 

"THANKS" Madcrow.. ;D

and i have really been wanting to try them out or try to make some bamboo arrows since now that i'm all growed up and know how to really work with tools and material's  and since it must have been around 25yrs ago that i was messing around with those sticks that i called my bow and arrows...lol...  i have been wanting to try out some differant types of material to make arrows...the right way...  since when i  was a kid i did it alot,  but only did what a kid with a pocket knife could do...

and i espeacily wanted to try the bamboo... becuase i read alot about it here... and wanted to see what the big deal was...

WELL I HAVE TO ADMIT...   i really enjoyed making this arrow...  i had a lot of fun with it making it...

i have not shot it yet but i really did enjoy making it... i know its not the best looking arrow and i know i cheated on it...  i used modern glue on the tip and wraped it with waxed nylon thread... and fltchted it with store bought feathers and used duco cement on the feathers and i put a plastic nock on it...

but even though i cheated i really like this arrow.....  something about that bamboo... give me a warm fuzzy fealing inside...  ;D...  and i really like it i hope it shoots good and i have to say i have a NEW FOUND RESPECT for the bamboo shoots...

really enjoyed putting this one togather... enjoyed it soooo much that i got plans to make lots more and want to try differant thind such as a more primative nock style and well i put a home made trade point on it but one day i will learn how to knap stone and try that out later...  senew wrap and the whole shabam!!!  but for now i eally enjoyed this one... and if it shoots well i migh go on ahead and start making what i hve taht was sent  to me form Madcrow...

well enough on the typing here is the pic... i know it not all that..  but i really like it...  ;D ;D ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shooter_G22

Re: first bamboo arrow...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:30:10 am »
another view..  i know the lighting is bad and my phone dont take the best pics but i hope ya'll like em...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cummins

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:31:35 am »
Nice arrow buddy Just finished one today too.I was excited.LOLIts here too.
Recurve Shooter hunter,Kodiak Mag ,Looking to shoot Longbow

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:48:16 am »
Nice arrow.
And that is the cleanest reloading bench I have ever seen.. You are one sick dude.  :D
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:09:38 pm »
thats a fine lookig arrow,hows it shoot?

can tell by your reloading bench that you know the essence of a perfect shell,cleanliness.
dont want nothing messing with the bullets and cases etc.all that can mess up a shot.

i have a bout 6 cane or boo shafts that i need to make into arrows yet,i personally cant tell thediff between boo and cane.
keep up the good work ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:41:37 pm »
  Sweet looking arrow. Once you go cane or boo, you won't want to shoot anything else. And, Man, you sure are organized. I need you to clean my shop.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:34:15 am »
Nice job.  Eddie is right about the boo thing.  I have no interest in building wood arrows any more.
Traverse City, MI

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 05:26:28 pm »
yup, 

i made that arrow a while back since then i have probably made a little over half a doz.. and have been trying to get a whole bunch harvested... there are a couple of spots with in driving distance that i know of that has that stuff growing wild...   sooo i have been harvesting some and even sent out some on trades...  but yup i like the stuff and i have been trying out some privote we got alot of that privote out here in the woods we hike and train in.. sooo im starting to try and get alot of the natural shoots for arrow making... but i have to admit i still want to learn how to make well made / matched cedar or pine shafts from the dowel cutter and compression block..  will have that stuff ordered in the next few weeks hopefully....

as for the boo i dont know what im doing wronge becuase i have managed to really beat them upa dn have even broke a few...   but then again i really do alot of shooting or really not me but the boys on the team really put them through hell.... and have managed to break em... but they really like them too...

i have had tehm cracking at the tips...  but all i have been doing is hot glue srew in field points... and they either come out or crack the tips and splinter back... i have had a couple break in half but that was from them either getting step on or getting hung up through the thick brush in the woods... 

but know that i think of it the abue the boys put them through i have to say they are pretty dang durable...lol...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »
havent made any myself(yet).
however i would think if you rapped some sinew etc. just behind the broadhead at the tip of the shaft,that should help them fro cracking,spliting at that end

Shooter_G22

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:50:15 am »
salordad,

the ones that have broken on us are the ones with screw in field points...  i by some 125 grain screw in filed points or target / practice points they sell them here at a sports store called academy sports and out doors.. for about 3 bucks a doz... they are screw in like the kind you would screw into an alluminuim or carbon shaft... but i just holow out the bamboo and fill up the hollow shaft with hot glue and then heat up the screw in tip and srew into the shaft of filled hot glue...

works well and easy... but sometimes the tip will come off and stay in the target or... or when the boys miss there target or when they shoot at stumps or other things and if it hits hard on a solid stump or if they miss the target and it over shoots into creek bed and hits rock or something then it might split...  but over all they have been durable like i said they really beat them up...

but i have noticed some of the arrows we have made from 5/16 oak dowels have really held up as well...

these boys really put the arrows through some abuse...  and we are allways having to rebuild them..lol...  but i guess i should really just get them to organize a little better....   

we also have the plastice knocks fly off sometimes too  and feathers that either fly off or strip half way through.... i really just need to get some really good arrows put togather and get some kind of sytem down... like a couple of arrow racks lie the kind in an archery store where looks like a table with hole in that hold the arrows in and hold a few dozen at a time and just have the boys put there arrow in rows and if one breaks or messes up take over to differant rack and put in the to fix rack..  righ now we jus have acardboard box that they all broken arrows go in... so we can re use the componants like feathers and tips...  lol...

but over all i like the boo... but the privot is a pretty tuff arrow too... and we are doing ok with oak dowels and even some of the store bought cheapy's

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:08:39 am »

Nice arrow, Shooter, should be able to put some meat on the table.  Yep Eddie, a clean, and organized shop is a sign of a sick mind. ;D  Poor ol Shooter, will never know the abject joy, of finding something, once thought irretrievably lost. ;D :D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 02:12:14 am »
yard sales man, i'm telling ya the things ya can find.
trad gear is still out ther but its getting a little harder to find even at the yard sales.
sometimes though you can get lucky and find dozens of old wood arrows very cheap.
i was showing an uncle of mine,the guy who taught me to shoot trad years ago,some of my hand made bows and knives and he offered to give me some of his old gear and a box of old files. he said i would have to wait untill spring,like i'm gonna say no.
he wont touch anything now without wheels  :'(,old is old new is new,thats his motto

me i like to think      old is old,new is new,primitive is way cool  8)

peace,
                                                                        tim

Shooter_G22

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 05:23:22 pm »
stickbender,

believe me i know the thrill of finding something that once thought was lost for ever... lol...  i keep a tight reload bench but thats about it..lol... the rest of my house and gear is mostly incredibly messy... ;)  but i try and keep my reload stuff very detailed becuase when i shoot i shoot for perfection beyond most people's comprehension...  and this means i shoot for pin point accuracy...   most people that say pin point accuracy dont really mean it literaly but in my case it is what it is...   and i mean i shot the inside 1/4" diamond out of a 1" target (the size of a us quater) out at a hundred yards and try to keep my groups under 3" out to about 800 yrds...  the only way i can do this is of coarse to shoot a precision made round through a precision made sniper rifle accuratly tuned and perfected and useing formula's that calculate tempature , humidity, elevation above sea level and of coarse your basic windage and elevation...  but i factor everything in even to the time of the day and what i have eating and or suger / cafine intake for that day.. all loged in my small book..   sick ...  yeah ok i guess soo... :-\

but the reason i keep my rlb so clean and organized is becuase to be able to produce such surgical rounds is that you have to do a lot of match brass prep work i mean wieght to 1/10 of a grain the brass,  mic the case wall thickness and measure everything to how many times it was fired and what i even seperate the brass that i use for differant bullet types and powder load my shots one at a time and place the brass with the headstamp facing the same way every time...  may seem a little extrem but this is how when i squezz the trigger i know exactly where that bullet will land.. every time and now i realize that yea i must be a sick puppy ;D...

but since i have been messing with the P A   i havent even touched my Reload components in months...  weird considering this time last year i was probably hitting the range 1 -2 times a week and i this whol hunting season i have been to the range once and havent been back since and i have sqeezed off one round since thaen that took a small seven pointer... and thats it...   wow.... i really am addicted to PA...   :D

but as for my tools shop and or where i work on my stuff i got half of my tools here at my apt. and hafl at my fathers place in his garage... soo i am a mess when it comes to that... and my field gear or other stuff is all over the place mostly clutter up in closets or all over the place stacked up in conners and if im working on something inside and dont finish it then it might stay ther for a couple of days and then eventually get put up or worked on till completion...   whew i feel better knowing that that is ok..lol...  but the rlb is probably the only organized and clean looking section in my whole house...lmao.. and i have even been told by cousins and or girlfriends why cant you keep your apt organized like your work bench... i just anwesr becuase my apt dont make a differance betweena life or death shot... @ 800 yrds... ;)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 03:38:46 am »

Well shooter, you and I have a lot in common.  I too want a precision bean field rifle.  I don't want to settle for an inch and a half at a hundred yds.  I have an old Remington 6mm. that would right out of the box put three shots, that a dime would cover at a hundred yds, and do it consistently.  Unfortunately, it no longer has that precision.  I am going to have a precision barrel made for it by Liljian, in Montana.  They are not far from where I will be living.  Their prices are not bad.  They make barrels for the Olympians.  But they only make the barrels, they don't thread, or fit them to your gun.  They have a couple of Gunsmiths that they recommend though.  It is good that you are that particular about your bench, and loads.  I know to do that kind of precision shooting, you need hand loads.  Some rifles will prefer certain bullet brands, and powders.  And when you are loading high power rifles, the right brass, and consistency of wall thickness, and neck dimensions, primer caps, etc. are critical.  Not to mention powder weight, and pressure limits.  I need to dig out my reloading sets, and start loading again.  I am going to stock up on powder, and primers, and bullets.  Between now and June some bad tidings for us, is about to start.  But you can take the same steps for your arrows, and get impressive results with them also.  You need to get the kids making their own arrows, and they will respect the work that goes into making them, and also get them to be a little more lenient on them, and not so much stump and rock shooting...... ;D I hope your New Year goes well for you and yours.

Wayne

Shooter_G22

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 04:47:13 pm »
Yea Wayne,

i have been geting them involved in the process of arrow building they work on a few oak dowels getting them preped and even have them spaying clear and rear dip crest but we are not dipping them we are spraying them... dont have dip tubes yet... and we have been harvesting bamboo and privote and we just got some feather choppers in on trade and we got some goose feathers sent to us by little john soo they have been slowly learning to build them up...  we have alot of training and soo little time to do it in soo we jump back and forth on the classes and take our time and try and get it all end eventually it all come to gather... thats the plane anyways...

as for the precision rifle..   i would look into the  .260 rem  caliber...  that is probably the most accurate commercial round out there right now that is not a wild cat or custom cartridge...  its the famous 6.5 mm  projectile with the case of a .308 brass necked down to a 6.5 mm   witch in my opinion is probably the most accurate projectile in its class... way better than the 6mm and the "7.62mm" that i love so much...

you say your thinking of rebaraling the m700 right???  well if you rebarrel your already haveing to pay for rechamber and rethread might as well change over to a better round..

just a thought...

you said your shooting the 6mm out of your remington now right ...   well wht 6mm is it??

is is the 6mm spc   or the 6mm br  or is it the 243, 6mm-06 ???

either way...

if your gonna hand load....   i know the .260  is hard to beet!!!   

had a very important and wise man tell me once that the future of snipping should or might even go to that...

but then again who knows...???

the .260 is an awsome round and will do anything you ask it too with in its class...

of coarse this is all heresay becuase i personally dont own one but... i have done some pretty good research and i would recomend it to some one that shoots a 6mm  ;)

anyways just my own opinion...