Author Topic: another green survival bow  (Read 22437 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: another green survival bow
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2008, 05:44:56 pm »
Well, after trying to make another from hickory, I discovered that even though the tree was plenty clean, it was too large. So I took it out and put it with the rest of my "wood horde" to make up with hand tools later. So, I set about finding a smaller one hickory.

Well, I didn't find any clean, little hickories, but I did come across a very clean elm. Many of the elm around here suffer from DED, or wahtever it is that weakens the wood and kills the tree, so I was hesitant, but I'm glad I took it. About an hour to an hour and a half yielded this one. It's very clean, straight, and defiantely has potential. I'm hoping that I didn't mess up the tiller by chopping off too much. It's 66" or so long, and about 1 5/8" over the full length. I don't know actual dimensions, just "body measurements". I also just used my Ka-Bar for this. I'm really liking this one, as it sorta reminds me of an Eastern Woodlands bow :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2008, 11:47:41 pm »
I think I removed too much wood from the handle area of my first attempt so I cut another hickory sapling and have it reduced and drying. I also remembered a sassafras that came down when I took out a big red oak for firewood. I went back and picked it up this morning. The piece I brought back is 2" in diameter and 60" long. Being short I will make this also a bendy handle bow. I have it reduced also so that makes 3 in all.
  I cut a sourwood shoot a few days ago, stripped it and laid it under the wood stove. Tonight I cut the nock and point slot with a knife and a few stone tools I made long ago. I'm still trying to figure out about a point. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 10:09:26 pm »

here is mine on the tree, nothing special just double checking...

ok now its got a nice "burn" camo job,and a little extra heat dont hurt either when this green either!

little further...

little more............

done.

from living tree to usable bow about 3.5 hours.
it is still green yet and what i know about this wood, it will gain a solid 10 pounds when completely dry, or more.

i just have to be extra carefull at that point as all of the little nicks and dings from the hatchet and nothing sanded smoothed, just burnished..but it will MOST DEFFILATLY put meat on the table!

i could have taken it quite further but i did not want to stray too far from "strictly function".
no handle wrap, just some coal markings,ang a heavy hemp cord for string.
overall 65 ntn and it sits now a little under 40 lbs.
when it cures ill have a nice 50-55 pounder.
it was fun.
jamie
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:17:43 pm by michbowguy »

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 10:42:38 pm »

here is my buddy showing off the main implement used in making his bow!

here it is on the tree....

little pull...

realy getting close now....

this guy has _ _ _ _ _ of steel! this ironwood is TOUGH STUFF!

LIKE I SAID IN PRIOR POST, THIS WOOD IS STILL GREEN! but his because it is about 6-8 inches shorter came out a little heavier...it is a nice bow!

ive got to teach this guy about DRAW LENGTH! hahahaha....like hes pullin back a warbow i think!

one more...

ok. these are our entrys.
it was fun indeed, but to be honest...it was cool going through the steps of "simple" bowmaking with him...
im not sure if he got it or not but the whole time i was talkin' he was throwing wood chips like a chainsaw from his end!

jamie.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:52 am »
pat: how do you deal with those crooks in the stave?
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 12:30:00 am »
I will try to heat straighten them and if that doesn't work I'll heat bend the rest of the bow so the string crosses the handle.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 11:40:37 pm »
thats awesme, the fact that you kept with the good old k-bar is what really gets me, too. haha, the warbow comment was right on the mark ;D not going to lie though, i'd do a bit of work on the upper fades, strap it to a log to reflex, and let it dry for the winter, those things are beautiful, and the'll stiffen up beefing up the draw, you could have a 100% indian bow on you're hands, my friend. good luck, and keep posting man, -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline woodsroamer

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 05:33:59 pm »
True primitive archery!! 

Offline woodsroamer

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
Michbowguy:  Maybe I missed it but what kind of knife is pictured, brand etc.?  Nice tiller by the way.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:31 pm »
carbon kabar campknife.
wayyy awesome.

friend liked it, so now it is his.
o well. ::) ;D

jamie!

kerbinator

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:34 pm »
Now thats a KNIFE!  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:20 pm »
Well, the time limit has passed. We have some pretty cool survival bows already and I am really impressed with Jamie's and his buddy's bows. Very good work guys... but...... ;D....I have started 3. One is too weak at the handle, one is coming out too weak all together and one still has a chance. I have to admit that this isn't as easy as I thought. Trying to work with limited tools while all those other tools cry out for attention, tugs at my heart. :'(  I have no doubt that if push came to shove, I would be able to make a serviceable hunting bow but without the dire need, my success has been severely limited. :(
   I will continue on my own to perfect my techniques with limited tools and eventually try stone tools  but for now I cry UNCLE!!! ;D
   By the way, I limited myself to a single bevel hawk, camp ax and scraper. Boy did I miss my good ole' Nicholson #49. ::)    Pat

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2008, 09:20:16 pm »
Ya Pat I miss your #49 too ;D..wish I had one :P...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....