Author Topic: The Hammer falls on #5  (Read 26146 times)

Ranger B

The Hammer falls on #5
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:13 pm »
It was quite an exciting morning in middle TN.  I got on the stand at about 5:30 a.m.  and it began to get daylight about 6:20.  I had decided to let the does pass today in hopes that a buck would be trailing since the pre-rut should be starting.  Just after daylight 4 does moved up the ridge and I let them pass.   About 10 min. later I could hear deer moving in directly behind me.  I couldn't move so I just waited until they were directly under my stand and then I could see that it was two does and about 20 turkeys.  The does began acting a little funny and then I saw movement in the draw.  It was a big bodied deer and it took me a few minutes until I could see horns.  BIG HORNS!  He had a very heavy rack and he was really paying attention to the two does, as were they watching him.  He began moving toward them and I offered up a little prayer...just keep coming.  He was close enough to see that he was a 10 ptr but not close enough for a shot.  Then suddenly he ran at the does and they took off.  He stopped again just out of range and waited a couple of minutes and then ran at them again, chasing them out of sight.  My heart rate was through the roof at that point. 

I decided to wait and just hope.  About 20 minutes later I saw movement again.  It was a nice looking deer and when he turned I saw horns.  it was a 3 pointer that I had seen in the past.  He's an older deer with a bad rack.  He has a spike on one side and a fork on the other.  He walked straight to me and turned broadside at 10 yards so I let fly and shot right through him.  He went about 10 yards and began to buck up then about 10 yards right and I could see blood coming out of his mouth.  He fell right there in sight and became #5 for the Hackberry Hammer. 

Sorry about the bloody tongue and the sunlight in the background.  Lousy picture but it's all I could get before my battery died in the camera.

Offline DanaM

Re: The Hammer falls on #5
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:22 pm »
Congrats Jimmie, at this rate their won't be any deer left in TN ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:28 pm »
Nice job Jimmy,you are a killing machine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:47:44 pm »
Jeeze, save some for the rest of us will ya?  ::)
Ha just kiding. Nice deer. That would be a 1 1/2 year old deer here, first set of horns. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:31:13 pm »
Jimmy, don't you ever miss?  ;D Great shot and congratulations on #5! You're obviously zeroed in on a good spot, with the shooting skills to take advantage of it! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:40 pm »
 Jimmy you are the man of the year :o  Congratulations, wish we had more opportunity here. It's one deer and in most units just a buck.  However I have yet to fill the one buck tag  ::)and waiting for the late hunt to come up. What good would 5 tags be if I can't fill one ???

Offline Big A

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »
Jimmie after talking to you Friday night I knew you hammer again soon. Good job.
"A"

Ranger B

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:17 pm »
Thanks all.  It was a great morning and after seeing big boy I'll be back in there.  Congrats to you too A.

PeteDavis

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
Quite a year, congratulations!

PD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »
Dang......ain't there a limit on Deer in Tennessee??? I am really going to get the Wife looking for Property there for retirement.......if I can get there before Jimmy kills them all off!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Ranger B

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »
 ;) There are a lot of deer in TN.  You can kill 3 does per day and 3 bucks in a year.  I saw 8 today on the stand.  That's the key to my success...just a lot of deer in the woods trying to let me shoot them.  ;)

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:48 pm »
Way to go, Jimmie! I hope you got a big freezer!! ;D
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 12:08:38 pm »
nice!  how's that neck knife working for you?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Ranger B

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:45:01 pm »
like a champ!  Love it.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:48:59 pm »
Wish I could get a bunch of deer to come dance around in front of me ;D. I know it ain't that easy, ya'll are like a bunch of robin hoods out there :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.