Author Topic: natural arrow material i have available... what is this ???  (Read 8738 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: natural arrow material i have available... what is this ???
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »
Yep, very good Pat.

(I wouldn't have known it myself...I cheated...the original image was taken from a wikipedia article)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Shooter_G22

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 01:59:45 pm »
sorry gents,

Yeah im in Dallas TX,  oak cliff area.. close to Mountian Creek Lake...   i havent seen the berries on the small bush tahat we have been ussing but i have two big bushe's in front of my t/home / apt.. that has a small tree growing out of it.. the tree is maybe 14' and that one producess the berries...   i never noticed the bush and trees in front of my house was the same stuff becuase the bush is big and round cuase the apt landscape crew allways keep it trimed and the treee is soo big i didnt realize that it was fro the same stuff i'll have to take a pic of it latr but its raining now and thats why i'm home and not working ;D ;D ;D

Wow!  Cafine Tee out off the leaves????   i must know how to do this???  that wuold be Awsome to teach the boys on the team to do since it would be a lession on how not to waste the extra...   

how do i do make this Tee??? 
all the boys are issued Canteen cups soo we could easily boil water over a fire while we are out there in the woods...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 02:14:38 pm »
Your arrow wood is chinese privet.I live in east Texas and I make arrows from the same plant.They make a tough arrow,albeit,to get a 60 # spine,you'll probably end up with a 600 grain shaft.I killed a buck last season with a 700 grain privet arrow. I cut mine,let em dry about 5-6 weeks,de-bark em, let em dry a couple more weeks,then straighten,and build arrows.You can barrel taper to reduce weight. Privet is an introduced pest gone wild,so we ought to take advantage of the great supply of this weed.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 03:44:47 pm »
I agree that Chinese privet makes good arrows, and that it is a horribly invasive plant, but that ain't it. Privet has opposite entire leaves and a different braching pattern/growth habit. His plant has sub-opposite crenate leaves, and a stiff growth habit that fits Ilex but not Ligustrum.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:35:09 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »
I just went out and cut some privet this morning.  At first glance, I thought they were the same thing, but once I look closer, they do appear to be different.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »

im looking at that bird and thinking that bird is there for the berries...

if the bird can eat the berries would it be safe to say that those berries were eatable for human????  if you can make a cafine tea from the leaves could you eat the berries in a survival situation???

and i'm thinking there are two differant opinions of what the plant i have is...
its either privot or yapon holly...

i wish i knew more about this subj.. but i do know that it does dry out pretty fast and when you cut it and debark the same day the bark almost just peels off...in fact i have peeled off a shaft or two to loan my knife to one of the boys so he could skin his...  and when you debark the shaft is very wet... soo wet it feels like it was in water but its not sticky just very fresh...
and the wood when it dries it's very white and stay's white for the most part and it sands very smooth with 400 grit automotive sand paper..  but the shaft itself is not hollow or softer on the inside or in cener in fact i have had the boys just sharpen there tips on the day of cutting and they have shot them that way on the same day just to fool around but the tips are soft and beak easily but if they leave it sharp when wet the next day the tip is fairly dry and kinda hard and very sharp.... and i told them that this would work in survival mode for small game like rabbits and squirles... and even bird...  i have one of the temp survival arrow that the boys made,  here that they left behind and its been drying for about a month and it was sharpend the day it was cut and teh tip is very hard and verysharp... it lookd to be very good as is for rabbit... 

soo i dont know if that helps but that is kinda what this stuf acts like..

oh also the shafts are very straight for the most part in that they dont curve very much but they are kinds snakey.. and i meant that the shaft is very straight but bumpy or wavy in like inch or 3/4 intervals but it is still very naturaly straight and i shoot the "one" that i made and it shoots very consitant... but its not very light at all... i mean i dont have a scale but its noticably heavirer than my cedar arrows..all though i did spray poly on it like four coats and the nylon string i used to wrap the feathers and tip migh have added wieght to it...
but even a bar drie shaft with about the same thickness of lets say an 11/64 cedar shaft its going to be heavier... and the survival arrows the boys made with no feathers and just sharpend points fly fairly straight...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 08:42:33 pm »
I agree with you Hillbilly,but the picture I"m referring to is the one with the knife.This plant definitely has   opposite leaves.
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline bowanna

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
Looks just like the privet here in south MS. What i collect has a lot of taper unless overshadowed by heavier folage. I also find it slow drying and requiring a lot of repeated straightening until it is dry. Just my observation, I'm sure others can help ypu more.