Author Topic: proto-type arrow...  (Read 6041 times)

Shooter_G22

proto-type arrow...
« on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:35 am »
this is an arrow i have been working up... i started from squar poplar stock... used the thumb plane to try and learn how to make it round... thought id never get it round..lol.. this is the 2nd shaft actually... the first one went to h&LL !  but i managed to get one close enough to try and sand and then it dawned on me to chuck it into my Dewalt and sand paper in hand and went to town... drill sanding but then i devoloped a taper so i tapered both side nock and point... i know i will probably never get two exactly alike but i was just foolin around trying new stuff... but then i decided to go ahead and make a trade point for it and then i went ahead and flethed it... soo i decided to put it up here to see what ya'll think...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: proto-type arrow...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:02:32 am »
Nice looking shaft,how dose it shoot ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:39 am »
Looks good from here, the proof is in the shooting. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of hand planing, but after you do a few, you'll have it figured out. Nice work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:25:35 am »
Proof is in the shooting. What's it weigh ?  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:39:54 pm »
looks good,now go shoot it and let us know how it goes

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:47:16 pm »
thanks gents,

i havent shot it...   i was fooling around with it a little late last night sanding and shaping... i wasnt really going to build one up... i was just trying out my new thumb plane trying to learn how to use the darn thing...   but then i went ahead and threw that one togather last night right  befor bed...  i worked late today and when i got home i grabed my day pack an my bull dog and went out into the woods for a little hike... and i got some nateral materal that i had made a couple of primitive arrows to teach the Ditry Dawgz teen team....  how to make a survival arrow out of what was availiable..   i wanted to get some of that material today to post pics of it on a differant thread...    " so might point is"   i didnt even have time to go shoot the arrow from last night...lol...

but like i said i was just foolin around and trying to learn how to use the thumb plane... i also have an arrow i made from that nateral stock with a P.O.S stone point i tried to make.. i will post that on the new thread too...

but on this arrow i dont know if i shoot it and it shoots good how will that help if i dont think i would be able to make another one exaclty the same you see its allmost wierd cause i know you cant tell from the pic but about mid to front it is way biger than from mid to rear... its like  a wierd barrle tapper shaft at least i think thats what i learned what to call it from a differant thread.. if its big and fat at cener and the tappers to front and back right ???  

but this one is really weird shaped soo if i cant duplicated it how can i get good with it?? and use it???
or do i just learn that arrow and learn what its going to do every time and that what i aim for?????

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:06:05 am »
Sorry,

i forgot to mention that i dont have a scale right now... soo i couldnt tell you the wieght...

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:22:07 am »
A spine tester is my most importand tool in arrow making,  Jay Massey said with practice you can get the feel for stifness. I can tell the diff between one that is obviousley too too stiff or limber. fun isnt it
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:46 am »
You will be surprised how close you can get them without a scale.  I made a dozen barrel tapered shafts and late ron, when I bought a digital scale and started playing with it, I found out that they were all between 600 and 650 grains with field points.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 02:23:35 am »
Wow,

i shot this arrow today and i have to say it shot better than the ones i paid 100 bucks a doz for seeral yrs back.. when i bough my first set..

and i usually have to aim a little of set to the right to get on target but with this one i aim right on and i hit righ on...  but i ruined it i shot straight through the week spot of my cardboard box that i hve full of foam but the week spot ws dead cntr  and the arrow flew threw the box and hit a conctrete step... or berm..   and the tip bent to hel and broke the slit in the wood a little bit.. i can fix it just cut about 3/4 " off and retip.. but i wonder if it'll shoot the same and now i want to make the all like this one...
i need a scale...
 ;)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:22 pm »
It's a sign, the arrow is ready for a stone tip. 

It will shoot even better than before
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

jape

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:24:24 am »
The simple joys of making ... then breaking .... arrows! Welcome to the club. I bet ya can't make another one the same, I never can whatever the precision of spine and weight matching are! if ya can, I'll have a dozen! You posted only a week or so ago asking for tips on planing stock into arrows, seems to me you pick it up pretty fast, and to get a good arrow straight up should really boost your confidence, well done.