Author Topic: "What have we learned children?"  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Kegan

"What have we learned children?"
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:56:56 pm »
Those are the words of one of my teachres when I was little, and they came into my head today walking back to the house with my brother. It's been three days of hunting so far, and I've gotten three shots off (which is more than my entire last two years of hunting). However, I'm picking up more and more things that are helping. So far: 1. if nature gives you a shot, you're supposed to take it, 2. watch for brush- arrows really do flex alot, give them room to do so, 3. take two seconds to gauge yardage and aim properly, and finally 4. always listen to your medicine.

Now 1-3 are obvious, and I shoudl have known them, but 4 caught me off guard. For years I've had the impression that seeing a hawk was just good luck. No rhyme, no reason. Just seemed the way it was, and usually it was pretty correct (see a hawk in the morning, and you'd have a good day). But yesterday I saw three hawks, all veyr close, all while stalking, and I hand't seen any deer yet. So I figured, "maybe it's all in my head?". And prompty became lax in my stalking. Which spooked three deer and broke one of my broadheads off. Funny, they never tell you that in books on hunting? ???

Anyway, with all that catalouged and kept in mind, wish me luck. I have a good feeling about this season :).

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: "What have we learned children?"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:21:32 pm »
listen to your medicine brother... and the shot will present itself... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:21:13 am »
The hawk has always been special to me. All raptors but hawks specifically.
  I believe #1 is #1! Too many folks don't take advantage of the first good shot opportunity. They think themselves out of the shot...is she looking over her shoulder at a buck? ??? ...or maybe she will come in closer. Don't bet the ranch!      When that shot opportunity comes, you shouldn't even have to think. Instinct should take over. That's where lots and lots of practice comes into effect.
   Actually, #4 is #1     Listen to what your heart tells you. It is usually right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:46:12 pm »
Thanks guys :)! I had one more miss today, not rally hunting, but random deer encounter with a bow. It would have connected too, had it not been for a tree branch that really liked my broadhead. However the shot had been taken much ebtter than my last one. Even if it didn't connect. I'm glad I'm at least capable of making a good shot at game.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:39 pm »
Funny thing about that medicine...how much is mystical and how much is your subconscious mind hollering at the top of it's lungs trying to get your attention?  I know in that very instant before I release an arrow whether it will hit or not, same thing when I lift the shotgun on a flushing pheasant. 

I had a 15 yd shot on a fat whitetail doe once and just as I released I heard something in the back of my mind shriek "NO!"  I had just enough time to drop my bow arm and the arrow punched the forest floor beneath her belly.  I still believe it was the primitive hunter/gatherer subconscious that saw a "green arrow" and a gutshot deer and warned me. 

Oh, and the medicine I look for when I am out hunting is the American Kestrel (Falco sparverious).  Especially if it is a female.

Kegan, I like your attitude.  I too enjoy a good clean miss as good as a good clean kill.  It's the stuff in between that hurts. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:37:37 pm »
  I know what you mean Kegan. I've sat napping while Turkey hunting between calling. And all of a sudden, little song birds, especially the Cardinal will cut loose. Almost everytime it's a turkey sneaking in without gobbling or a deer sliding through.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:11:55 pm »
Thanks guys :). To date I've neevr really thought about hunting a a matter of my skill, but mre as Nature giving me chance. Whether I get anything or not, I learn something. It definately seems like I'm learning enough about bow hunting that Nature might take pity on me this season ;).

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
haha yeah- rule #2 made me loose a button buck last year, broadhead in a sapling :'(  good rules to follow. you guys ever see owls out? when we squirrel hunt, i swear I always hear one, but then again theres also a wild heard of sheep nearby...
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:23:24 am »
yup i see and hear e few differant kind of owls when i hunt. in the spring i get them to answer me when im turkey hunting.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 01:34:52 pm »
haha, awesome. you think they interfere with the hunt much? I know foxes do, last year I saw one- and no squirrels ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
no they dont interfere with the hunt, they only answer because i use a hoot tub as a locater call at sun up when i turkey hunt in the spring.
in the fall i just use a gobble call or tom clucks and yelps,no locator calling.

tim

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:27 am »
thats awesome, I might try turkey this spring, or if I see one in my stand ;D the tag is 5 bucks here, a good deal- i hear there hard to hunt though. I was at cabela's there was a broadhead called the bullhead or something, it was, literly, a decapatitator- there's videos on youtube of this, too........ pretty weird, but I must admit, the suffer rate has to be like zero. -jimmy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »
thats awesome, I might try turkey this spring, or if I see one in my stand ;D the tag is 5 bucks here, a good deal- i hear there hard to hunt though. I was at cabela's there was a broadhead called the bullhead or something, it was, literly, a decapatitator- there's videos on youtube of this, too........ pretty weird, but I must admit, the suffer rate has to be like zero. -jimmy

They used to use wide, crescent points for birds in England. Obvisouly it isn't a new idea :o!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 07:06:38 pm »
ya ive tried the GOBBLER GUILLOTINE broadheads,there are other out now. didnt much care for them,would rather just use my same old MUZZIES that i
use for deer. those other blades only allow for head/neck shots. regular broadheads allow for more angle to shoot from,even when you cant see the neck/head
 and ifn your steady enough you can still take a neck/head shot given the opportunity.
as far as i am concerned those other types of turkey broadheads are just gimmicks to get peoples money.

tim

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 11:28:47 pm »
ya ive tried the GOBBLER GUILLOTINE broadheads,there are other out now. didnt much care for them,would rather just use my same old MUZZIES that i
use for deer. those other blades only allow for head/neck shots. regular broadheads allow for more angle to shoot from,even when you cant see the neck/head
 and ifn your steady enough you can still take a neck/head shot given the opportunity.
as far as i am concerned those other types of turkey broadheads are just gimmicks to get peoples money.

tim
I didnt care much for 'em either, and what if the turkey's quarterring away from you??? those things don't look like they'd go too far into the turkey without getting badly snagged in bone if you hit the vitals, its a totaly straight blade... you hit it on the head about the good old broadhead though- there's a kid i was talking to who insisted on using poison on his arrows, as long as they were narrow, i doubt the kid has ever shot a bow in his life though. probibly just saw it on going tribal ;D