Author Topic: Tough-earned Okie Venison  (Read 13866 times)

Offline The Singing Bowyer

Tough-earned Okie Venison
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:10:15 pm »

One of my most memorable hunts...without a doubt. I was pre-making some cubby sets and scouting around for trapping season when I found a well-traveled area on the edge of a swamp. I came back that afternoon and set up a stand.

The property I was on belongs to a neighbor on the opposite side of the lake that I live on. Normally, I would just drive down the road I live on, turn left, and go across a bridge to get over to where he lives. But, we had a big storm this past summer, and the bridge got washed away. So, instead of driving all the way around the lake (about 8 or 9 miles out of my way), I decided to just float my canoe across the lake.

I had to float across, bank the canoe on another neighbors place, and then walk a few hundred yards to get to the stand. A big trapper and primitive-type fella who I met here in OK gave me some nice obsidian heads to try.

So, I took this one at about 8 yards with a self-nocked cedar shaft with the stone head. The shot was at a bit of an angle, and the arrow went through the liver and one lung. It buried up almost to the fletching even after knicking a rib. Unfortunately, he decided to run into the swamp and die face-first in a foot or so of muddy, stagnate water about 60 yards from the stand.

It was an interesting time gettimg him out of there. Then, I drug him the few hundred yards back to the canoe. I was almost out of light by the time I snapped a quick pic and got everything loaded.

By the time I paddled back to the cabin in the dark, I was feeling as rough as my dirty deer looked....

I won't forget this one!
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline John K

Re: Tough-earned Okie Venison
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
Nice deer ! Yeah, that thing looks like it was in a swamp  :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
Yeah...thankfully I don't have to eat the hide. The sinew and meat cleaned up rather nicely, though... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:47 pm »
how bout a pic of the point?
Danny Johnson

Offline Big A

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:15 pm »
Good job Chad. I always wanted to do a canoe hunt.
"A"

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »
Well done Chad.  Congratulations.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:16:49 pm »
Nice job! I can smell that swamp as I read it. Good luck with the sets and the venison

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:21:40 pm »
That sounds like my kind of hunt."Good and tough". Great shot and good job.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:00:46 pm »
 Nice post and congratulations,that'll be tender vittles. I like that angle away shot from behind,right behind the last rib,aiming thru to the off shoulder.good penetration is guaranteed with a stone point. good work !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:30 am »
Nice job Chad,some mighty fine eating there. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:43 am »
Congratulations Chad! I've had some experience with accessing a hunting area by canoe...hunted a spot for a full season that way. It's lot's of fun and a quiet way to get to a stand without leaving much scent getting there. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GlennM

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:10:35 am »
Cool story!  I'll share it with the Hawkeye Boys.  It was a nice diversion from correcting papers.  We have snow flurries here in Buffalo today. I will be hunting a new apple orchard after school.  Best I can tell it hasn't been hunted in years.

Keep those stories coming,

Glenn

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:49 am »
Good story Chad and sounds like my kind of hunt too. Yea, snap a pic of the arra if ya can. Did the point survive?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »
I will take a close up pic of the point for you fellas this evening and get it posted. Yeah..it held up well, though my sinew tying job was pretty loose when I found it. Just a couple chips out of it....The deer took a couple leaps through some saplings before heading into the swamp and broke the arrow. The point end was laying on the ground about 25 yards away and the fletching end was floating in the water near where the deer fell.

Glenn, it is actually suppose to get down to 40 degrees tonight down here. No snow, but it ought to make the deer move a bit...
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:49:56 pm »
Congratulations, Chad. Looks like some good meat and good memories.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.