Author Topic: Tough-earned Okie Venison  (Read 13867 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Tough-earned Okie Venison
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 06:27:15 pm »
Yea Chad, my wife said it was cold and rainy back there today.  I'm looking foreward to something that resembles Fall.  I hope I can make it to the woods some this weekend. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »
 man, thats awesome- the deer looks like in ran through a trench, but i'm sure it was a blast getting him out  ;D canoe hunting too, thats aweosme- i've always wanted to try that. what kinda bow is that? I got a board, yes a board, of osage today, long story short, they had alot, and were suspicious on why I was buying it. I didnt want to tell them how godly a straight grained piece of osage is, so i got a 6.5 foot by 4 inch board. I'd love to hunt with it too, im noyt sue what kind of longbow it makes though, the one;s ive seen have been purdy short. congrats on that deer man, sounds like a blast. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:34 am »
great story Chad.. nice backstrap you got there too... good job brother... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 03:58:55 pm »
Yeah Mike..it was cool this morning! I found 5 fresh scrapes! Should start getting good...

Here are some photos of the arrow/point. I was shooting down and at an angle, so it hit a pretty thick part of the back rib. I found a piece broke off inside, but I am not sure what happened to the rest. It may have broken as he crashed through the saplings... I cleaned it up so you could get a better look. It took a beating, but it did it's job...

PS-- It was an osage flatbow at 58#....

Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:43:32 pm »
That's interesting - thanks for showing the point Chad. I have several that look just like that but are missing the blood, thiers a lot of rocks where I hunt :'(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Ranger B

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 09:58:44 pm »
nice Chad.  That is a rough looking critter  ;)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:48 pm »
hell yea. thats just cool.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 11:16:11 pm »
Chad, cool hunt, awsome story and I would love to have a canoe and do that type of a hunt. Don,t know what I would do with the canoe here in this desert but really do have a hankering for one.  Congrats on your primitive hArvest.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell