Author Topic: Penetration test for pigs  (Read 9751 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Penetration test for pigs
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:18:29 pm »
  Here's three, little points I've mounted on for shafts. Like I said in another thread, that after reading that informative article Billy wrote I wanted to try some on hogs. These points are mounted on Hard Maple shafts, I wanted weight, as much as I could get with these tiney points. They came out, after sanding around 95 grns. Mounted in the cane arrow the total was 550grn.

I shot a 100 grn field point on this arrow to see how it would fly and it was straight and fast out of my 60# Osage. I will be going for shots like I had with my pistol the last time I went to that ranch. They were about 8 to 10 feet.

If I shoot and recover one I'll try my hand at being a writer. Oh, almost forgot, that , Fine, cane arrow was made by Steve Parker (hillbilly).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Penetration test for pigs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:24:15 pm »
I like that set up Eddie.  Maybe the boo shaft will come out and leave the forshaft in.  That will leave the hole open to bleed while the point and forshaft stay in to cause more damage.   :) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
 That's what it is supposed to do Justin. The Boar hog Chris Cade killed was shot with the same set up. The foreshaft shot out of the socket and cut the heart in half. But it was a Grizzly point I think. I've used foreshafts like this before with field points on targets. When the cane comes into contact with the target the foreshaft is like somebody going through the windshield.
Lakeland, Florida

jamie

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:53:25 pm »
sweet!!!

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »
Nice work my man!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline xin

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:09 pm »
Great looking points  and arrow.  It just strikes me as logical that a smaller, narrower point would penetrate deeper.  If you were stabbing someone with a stilletto knife wouldn''t it penetrate more easily than a  shovel.  This is a large exaggeration , but I'm sure you all get the point . (Pun intended)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:11 pm »
Nice set up. The two Parker combo should be killer! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »
Very nice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »
Yep! Thats why I have to glue mine in for target points!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:50:35 pm »
 Thanks guys, and, if you can't tell got the garden planted two weeks ago also.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 10:18:01 pm »
 Nice set up Eddie. Can't wait to see the results. They look deadly and would hate to get hit with one of those.  Garden??? Everything is just starting to freeze up here and getting in the low 20s and teens this week. Should be able to plant our garden again in May ::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:43 pm »
   Keenan, It's just getting cool enough so stuff doesn't burn up, here. Planted peas, corn, beans, fall squash and cilantro. Habaneros and Thai peppers, pineapples and collard greens are from last year. And won't be long for the oranges and lemons.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
 Looks deadly. I was admiring them collards,all we got available here is canned,(which is everybit as terrible as canned spinich). How many inches from the tip of the point to where the shaft and fore-shaft join ?  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 08:03:47 am »
 It's pretty close to 6", Frank. I was going to wack the collards down when I got back from Brazil. But they started looking good after I cleaned them up.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 08:41:56 am »
That's a good looking arrow Eddie, and definitely ought to do the job especially at the short distances you're talking about. I kind of liked how my cane arrow behaved with the deer I took this year. It ran past some saplings with the arrow sticking out...instead of breaking off like a cedar shaft typically will, it stayed intact hitting tree's as the deer ran past, causing the broadhead to rip through the inside of the deer causing massive damage. She only ran about 30 yards!

By the way, I've just about got one of the tonkin cane arrows finished all but tapering the tip for a broadhead. It straightened easier then the local river cane I've used partly due to fewer nodes to contend with. I didn't get to spine test or weigh it yet, havn't made it down to the club the last couple of days.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...