Author Topic: Penetration test for pigs  (Read 9750 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Penetration test for pigs
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:58 am »
Looks deadly to me eddie but is it more effective than a Jeep ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:51 am »
Looks like it aught to get the job done Eddie. Go stick a pig with it and tell us what happens :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 12:27:11 pm »
Looks good, Edward. I would test it myself, but I'd have to hit the damn pig first, wouldn't I? ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »
I'm hoping to get invited down to hunt Thanksgiving weekend. Greg I hope you post some pictures of the Tonkin when you get them finished. I plan on making 3 more arrows and 9 more forshafts with points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11:52 pm »
sweet!!  did you put a drop of super glue in the joint to hold the foreshaft in place? 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 11:29:51 pm »
Me? Nah, hot glue!  With hunting points you dont want to. Saves the shaft when they detach.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 08:00:23 am »
 No Chris, I just stick them in. I beveled it so they fit tight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 07:32:11 am »
i experimented with just using pressure and found they have to fit really really tight and super straight or the foreshaft will fly off when you shoot the arrow.  i'm guessing as the arrow paradoxes it loosens the foreshaft and causes it to prematurely separate.  just a drop or two of superglue held the foreshaft in place perfectly and allowed it to separate after the shot.  i'd hate to see you stick a boar at eight feet with just the main shaft while the foreshaft sails through the palmettos.  that would make for an uncomfortable situation. :o
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:44:05 am »
Chris, I think that would make for an extremely entertaining situation if we could watch from a good distance away..... >:D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 11:01:29 am »
Maybe a drop of hide glue would work better as it will dissolve when it comes in contact with bodily fluids.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 11:15:12 am »
Chris, I can see how the glue would be necessary.  The tip only has to move very slightly to throw the arrow out of alignment and completely off its flight path.  It has to be on tact when it enters the pig so the weight of the shaft will help penetration.  If it comes apart before penetration stops you only have 140 grains or so and that won't penetrate. What about making it fit tightly into the foreshaft like a 4 inch plug that is attached to the foreshaft.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
steve, i'd like to watch that scenario also.  eddie would have to do some high stepping to get out of that.  as lucky as eddie is, the main shaft would hit the pig in the eye and drop him like a rock.

justin, from my research and experiments on attaching foreshaft i found the joint should be tapered so it can break away clean.  using a square joint and inserting the foreshaft doesn't allow it to break away because it's a stronger joint.  hideglue would also work but would be susceptible to the weather.  superglue is strong but brittle which allows the joint to snap when a little lateral pressure is applied.  like when the animal runs and the mainshaft hits a tree, it will snap at the joint thereby saving the mainshaft.  cane, without a foreshaft, is usually strong enough to survive such treatment but i like using foreshafts.

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline xin

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 01:00:29 pm »
"will dissolve when it comes in contact with bodily fluids."  Pat                   Superglue ,cyanoacrylate, is biodegradeable ,but will take several weeks depending on the amount used.                                                                                 

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »
 I have'nt tried fore- shafted arrows on big game,but I always thought that just a couple of turns of thin sinew off the fore-shaft and onto the shaft might be good.I have made them that way before,but never used them for big game.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 10:30:13 am »
That makes sense Chris, thanks.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah