Author Topic: An Old Boo tri-laminate  (Read 3003 times)

corbeau75

An Old Boo tri-laminate
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:33 am »
This old Bow was my fathers. He had a bad case of  "the older I get, the better I was" and he claims the poundage was like a hundred pounds!

I would guess it was 60-70 at the most, but I don't really know. I do know it was ruined by being left in the garage rafters of my fathers house some 20 years. He said it came to him when he was 15 or so and he would be like 65ish now. The bow is 50 years old easily.

I would like to copy it and see what I can do with it.

She appears to me to be a tri-lam Bamboo with a wooden riser. It looks like it had reflex deflex but it has pulled/dried/crushed under boards out. The Bow is 71 1/4" in overall length. 1 1/4" wide limbs that taper to 1/2" tips. 5/8" thick at the fades down to just over 3/8" at the tips. It has a wooden riser, but the working wood is all boo. You can see the nodes in all the layers.

I took the photos I could think of. If someone is interested in others, just tell me what you wish to see.

any knowledge or advise would be great!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

Re: An Old Boo tri-laminate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:15:41 am »
thats cool man 8),any idea what the other woods are?

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:54:20 pm »
Hi,  That's awfully similar to the Howard Hill type bow isn't it?  I also remember reading an article about bamboo laminate bows exported from Japan shortly after WWII.  I would suggest that you read the chapter on making wooden laminate bows in The Bowyer's Bible IV.  It shows you how to make a form and and glue up the blank.  Then it's just a matter of making / buying a set of lams that matches the bow you want to copy.  Easy for me to say, since I don't make laminate bows myself   ;) , but hopefully gets you pointed i n the right direction.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
  I would suggest Torges book.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?