Author Topic: Bored at work  (Read 4554 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Bored at work
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:32:45 pm »
Found some kind of plant at jobsite, it's all dead and the skin is naturally retted. Just snap the limb, slide it through your fingers to peel the skin and start twisting :). I don't know what this stuff is but the cordage is around 1/8" to 3/16" dia. For the most part I can't break it, sometime's it'll break at a weak splice. Thought I might twist up enough to maybe make a quiver or some such. Any suggestion's on a good knot tying book or basket weaving maybe?

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Bored at work
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:31 pm »
Dogbane?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:27:09 pm »
Dang, you collected quite a bit.  You must be REALLY bored. ;D

Whenever I need info on basketweaving, I always search the net.  There's a ton of sites and free info on basketweaving.  I wish there was the same amount of info on how to not get bored at work.....

(I'm bored too.)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:05 pm »
Yup, boredom is the word :(. I started this out while sitting in a crane for the first four days, now in my down time - it's what I do ;D.
 Don't think it's dogbane D, but I could be wrong. Don't have a clue what dogbane looks like. Allright, I'm headed to enature.com.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »
Paul, dunno what that is, never seen it here that I know of. The seedpods look kind of like some kind of Baptisia or something else in the Fabacaea/legume family. Definitely not dogbane, though. If it makes good cordage, call it good cordage weed. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »
maby a wild sun flower, i think i remember seeing a photo of that plant in L.D Olson's book. dont remember the name.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »
Well at least ya didn't get someones cash crop :o ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:11:28 pm »
  Nice looking stuff Cowboy. How strong is it? Also you said you were sitting in a crane, are you an operator?  I have about 5000, plus hrs. on cranes. Sold my crane about 8 years ago so don't do as much now.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:05:39 am »
Thanks Keenan, it's too strong for me to break by hand generally - I'm putting it on the scale if I ever get home. Yes, I am an operator on occasion. usually small RT's, nothing larger than 75T, been at about fifteen years. I thought you were a doctor that did a little welding on the side ;D.