Author Topic: My deer arrows didn't work too good on hogs.  (Read 12101 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
My deer arrows didn't work too good on hogs.
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:42:08 pm »
I've been meaning to show the results of my hog huntin attempt. Stood in my tree for several hours waiting on a deer that never showed up because all I could hear the entire morning were hogs squealling and raising a ruckus. I climbed down and went hawg stalking, could'nt get any closer than about 30 yards - they were out grazing in the open. I didn't count em but looked to be about 25 to 30 head. The big boar (I guestimate 400 lbs) was busy with a sow in heat, there was about 10 other boars prodding and making noise and then the sows and piggies. I went ahead and let fly - the first shot sprayed the closest boar with dirt, second shot went about three inches over big daddy's back, third shot was wild, fourth shot bounced off another boars ham bone. Only had three arra's, that fourth shot was the only good one left and it broke on the bone - I gotta shoot more :'(.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

Re: My deer arrows didn't work too good on hogs.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:29:42 pm »
No bacon today. Those hogs are pretty tough. Good luck with the rest of the season!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:32:48 pm »
Cowboy, sounds to me like part of the problem might have been so many hogs and distractions (noises) instead of one quiet animal. All that can cause a person to not be able to focus. I wouldn't sweat it that much. Could be not so much that you have to shoot more, but maybe that you gotta harden your nerves in the face of distraction. I can't say for sure or not if that's it, but I know it's something I am working on.

~~Papa Matt

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:17:44 pm »
Use OBSIDIAN!!!!! I think you must still have some of that stuff laying arround. Its sharper and will slice them little piggies right up. I really want to hog hunt one of these days!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:33:17 pm »
At least Cowboy has wild hogs where he lives and can step back out and try again another day. I'd have to drive several hours to get to an area like that. I wish we did have 'em here in Indiana.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »
I think your right Matt, I gotta tighten up when thiers a herd in front of me and aim small :). I think my points would work David if I could just hit that little spot I'm aiming at - them ham bones are tough.
 Albert: We've got so many hogs out at the lease and that part of TX, even the state is talking about choppers in the air with door gunners and men on the ground "I heard this anyway". there's getting to be too many and they are destructive.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »
Sounds to me like yer brain was tellin' you it didn't want to haul that 400lb bugger all the way back to the truck by yourself.  Or it was a VERY windy day. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 06:33:36 pm »
Paul, if you need some help culling the heard let me know!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 07:16:38 pm »
Paul, sounds about like my last hog experience. :) It is hard to concentrate on one when there's a whole herd running around, and those suckers never stand still, either.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 08:40:38 pm »
 Those are good looking heads.Closer and in the lungs and I believe you'd a made sausage. Some of them big boars have hellacious gristle pads at the shoulders too. Sounds like fun hunting pigs with primitive gear.I hunted them in South Carolina with hounds where we either shot them with 12 ga. 00 buck or caught them with pitt's and trussed them up and took 'em home for fattening. Pig's are fun any kinda way.  Better luck next pig Cowboy.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Papa Matt

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 11:35:48 pm »
Choppers in the air with gunners? Far out  :o     If I had a few hundred dollars that weren't any good for anything else and a week of free time, I'd be on my way down. Ya'll shew some of them fatboys up this way   :D

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 02:23:28 pm »
I hear ya Cowboy, I seem to have a hard time shooting under pressure. Part of the learning curve I reckon. What part of the state is your lease in. I am thinking about trying to set up a hunt this winter or spring. I was on a construction job a few years ago and camping near the jobsite in my trailer on the White river in N.W. Colorado. Beautiful remote spot. One of the locals told me that the B.L.M. was after him to do something about the wild hogs running up and down the river on his grazing lease. Any way got permission to hunt and had a blast each day after work, got one and it was a vietnamese pot bellied pig, guess someone got tied of them as pets and hauled them off and dumped them like some people do dogs. We cooked it up at work with all the trimmings, That was a nice road trip. Nothing like combining work with pleasure.         Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 02:31:44 pm »
Kenneth: it's in Montague county, borders the red river - the county borders not the lease. Look at the map, go straight north of Ft. Worth. Might be able to cook something up after deer season if ya had time to come down. I promise, nobody would care how many you killed :).

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »
Cowboy, don't know why but thought you were hunting way down south and west in Texas. I know lots of folks make a buck with the hogs and don't mind paying to hunt if there is a good population and resonable chance for sucess. North Texas is much closer for me and would be a reasonable trip, couple days travel and a couple to hunt.   If someone wants their hogs thinned after deer season, I would be up to trying.  Oh, looks like your fine points did not agree with the rocks. Hang in there you will get one soon.         Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline xin

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 09:18:28 pm »
Beautiful country Montague County.  They have a really good arrowhead show every year in Bowie.  If you want to see a lot of local finds, that's the place to go.  Better luck with the hogs next time.