Author Topic: My deer arrows didn't work too good on hogs.  (Read 12100 times)

PeteDavis

Re: My deer arrows didn't work too good on hogs.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »
Nice points Paul. The hogs can wait. Is that the Pedernales brand of material?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 12:45:24 am »
                                              So when We going???.......Huh.......Huh?????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 09:59:47 am »
Kenneth, we'll have to see if we can fit that in with our busy schedules - you too Mike. Hog thinning, here we go ;D. Xin: I have heard of that show but have yet to make it, I'm hunting about 16 miles west of Bowie.
 Thanks Pete, yes that is perd points - I believe those were heat treated. 

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:29 am »
The best thing about the show to me is the huge number of actual arrowheads found in the area.  Most shows don';t feature many arrowheads because they bring the least money.  Those are very nice looking  points you broke-off in the hogs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:49:24 pm »
   I LOVE IT. ;)  Nothing wrong with your points , big guy. When you have that many, take one or two arrows with you and start crawling. Hogs eating and mating aren't going anywhere for awhile. Just keep creeping, and watching, and crawling closer.

Go after one hog. Pick him out and crawl for him. If one comes in too close and is going to bust you, shoot him. He will probally be real close anyway. They can't see real good. They feed into the wind, that makes it easy. Watch out for the little ones.

David, Obsidean really isn't much better than Soapstone if you hit them in the Butt. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:27:59 pm »
tough break brother... never hunted hogs but hear they are tough to get with stone points..I still carry some of yours in my quiver.. haven't shot an elk yet still holding out for a real big warrior...happy hunting .. and hope your arrows fly true next time.. HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 10:47:55 pm »
Can I come down and hunt too??? PLEASE!!!!!

Mullet, I think after seeing how Paul's flint heads got chipped up from shooting at hogs I will be using fore shafts and taking lots of extra points hafted on separate fore shafts.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:12 pm »
   David, I think there are rocks where Paul hunts. Where I hunt it's sand and they just get dirty. Oh, Yea, where Hillbilly hunts hogs, too. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 12:23:54 am »
Rocks.........hell there ain't nothing but Rocks here!!I envy you Guys that can go out and Stump Shoot....there ain't no way that a Steel Point will hold up to hitting the Ground around here!!.....Even if you miss the Rocks....the Red Clay or Caliche is so hard it's like Concrete!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 12:25:04 am »
Eddie if I could afford to get to Florida I would be there in a heart beat!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 09:12:23 am »
David, I think everyone has heard to much bad press on your soap to invite you to hunt!  ;D

You're going to have to let them know up front that you'll leave the sweet smelling stuff at home and instead bring something that blends in with the surroundings you're planning to hunt. ;D  For hog hunting, perhaps hog crap scented soap would be suitable. For elk hunting...elk wallow scented soap, you get the idea!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 09:39:38 am »
Xin: I found a little point on the lease a few years ago in the middle of a cattle trail, a small Gary point. There have been a lot of nice one's found out there.
 I'm going to give that a try next time Eddie. I was in the wrong frame of mind that day, everybody kinda looks at the hogs as trash. I should have been a little more stealthy and crept closer, the grass was prolly 16" tall. And yep, lot's of rocks - if ya shoot a stone point around here it's probably going to break.
 Thanks Hawk! Hope you get an elk with one of them. their hide is probably as tough as hog, hope it all works out.
 I'll see what I can do David. If this hunt happens it'll be after the 1st week of Jan, all the critters will be on high alert after being shot at for two months. If it does happen though, your going to have to go roll in one of the hog wallers before the hunt ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline xin

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 01:20:58 pm »
Cowboy,  Any of that rock  in Montague County knappable  and accessible?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:11 pm »
Nossir, not in bulk anyway. I've walked around still hunting and as usual key in on the rocks more than I do the tracks ::) ;D. I't's mostly what they call peanut rock or a conglomerate of small pea gravel all stuck together like concrete. I don't know where they may have quaried thier rock around here but would think it's close by somewhere. In all the miles I've walked out here I've picked up one fist size rock that would knap.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 03:06:55 pm »
Paul you need to carry a pressure flaker in your pocket for just such occasions...field repairs.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC