Author Topic: english warbow  (Read 6778 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
english warbow
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
what was the likelyhood of oak being used historically for warbows. Or longbows at least.
There seems to be a lot of people presenting red oak board longbows. I know that oak was used for bow. But does anyone know of an instance of it being used for warbows?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline adb

Re: english warbow
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:12 am »
I believe secondary woods, like ash, elm, and oak were historically used for warbows, when yew was unavailable or unaffordable for the user. Certainly, yew was (and perhaps still is) the prefered wood for heavy weight warbows. 

stevesjem

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 06:47:28 pm »
Ash and Elm yes, but not oak I'm afraid, as far as I know there is no evidense of oak being used for a warbow.

Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:18:24 am »
I certainly do not have much good to say about oak. Not a preferred bow wood for me, especially for an EWB.

Bueskytter

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:44 pm »
Never heard of oak being used historically. Ash, elm, birch - yes, but not oak.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »
Birch?? Never heard of birch being used as a historic EWB material. Can you post info from your source on birch EWBs?

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 03:31:40 pm »
Now that im somewhat more  familliar with bow making and  history, i have to say the same as you all, which was why i asked the quetioned to begin with. While I was growing up anytime someone spoke of longbows, or robin hood or the english warbows they exclusively spoke of them being  "good english oak" or "made from solid oak"

but i cant see oak holding up to warbow weights, most of the oak i have used breaks at about 70lbs maybe a little more
knapp 'um if you got 'um