Author Topic: ..  (Read 8166 times)

Offline ratty

« on: October 25, 2008, 04:04:37 pm »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:21:17 pm by ratty »

Offline Cromm

Re: happy st crispins day
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:02:23 pm »
Thanks, been shooting arrows all day and thinking of the French....... ;) ;)
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Idaho Longbow

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:45:38 am »
When I went thru Army Ranger School, one of the TAC NCO's recited that to us while we were running the Darby Queen every morning.  He would sound a line, and we would chant it back.

It ran thru my mind the night I called an ARC Light on OP George in 1971.

Every now and then it comes back to me.  Quite a stirring speech, if that it was.

Rich
Sua Sponte

Bueskytter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:20:44 pm »
Hmmm, pretty sure this was just Will Shakespeare putting words in a historical figure's mouth.

Bueskytter

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:38:15 pm »
Hmmm, pretty sure this was just Will Shakespeare putting words in a historical figure's mouth.

i'm pretty sure st crispins day is/was a real day and not an invention of shakespear  ::)

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was referring to the speech given by Henry which was linked to. If you actually read what I wrote properly this would have been obvious - why would St. Crispin's Day be 'words in a historical figure's mouth', hmm?

Clearly, as evidenced by the rolling-eyed smiley, you took some offense to what I said. Maybe you thought I was trying to pull you down or something - I wasn't, I was just idly musing on a historical topic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:43:09 pm by Bueskytter »

Offline Loki

Re: ..
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »
St Crispin and Crispinian's day is the anniversary of the battle of Agincourt in the old calendar,hence the link to the famous 'fictional' speach.
Durham,England