Author Topic: what points do you practice with?  (Read 5166 times)

Offline woodsman1031

what points do you practice with?
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:55 am »
I am about to make my first dowel arrows. I planned on making trade points from a saw blade for them.  What do you guys use for practice? Do yall practice with your trade points? If not please let me know what point I will need to make to practice with.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: what points do you practice with?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:13:59 am »
 I use field points the same weight as my broadheads and as close as I can come with my stone points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:41:17 am »
Do you use the screw in field points? Is there different weight field points that glues onto trad arrows?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:03:17 am by woodsman1031 »
Jesus Saves!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:17:00 am »
I use glue on field points.  If you make your own trade points and have a few extras, by all means practice with them.  It is the best way to know exactly where the arrows will hit.  All arrows need a test flight or two before you hunt with them.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:26:56 am »
In hunting season I practice with what ever I plan to hunt with,Trade points or Ace broad heads.
The summer I use glue on field tips the weight of my hunting heads. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:05:27 am »
  I use glue on field tips. You can get them from Three Rivers in different weights.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:06:39 am »
I mostly shoot broadheads, either homemade trade points or storebought glue ons. I mostly stump shoot or shoot hay bales, I use points not over one inch wide and they pull out easy. About the only time i shoot target points is when I am shooting three d animal targets and the broadheads do too much damage to the targets. Broadheads just feel better in my quiver and are more fun.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:42 am »
I would like to indulge in practicing with broadheads, but the 3D targets only take so much before they fall apart.  I have a 10' x 10' archery net in the backyard that takes field points fairly well.  The arrow's flight is absorbed and spread across the net so efficiently that it looks like the bow has all the cast of an overcooked noodle.  Recently I noticed a few pass-throughs with the field points.  I went back to the place where the net was ordered and found that it is rated for field points up to a 45# bow.  So, yesterday I received my order from 3Rivers and will be replacing field points with 125 grain steel blunts. 

I wouldn't recommend steel blunts for roving or stump shooting since I feel they tend to stop the arrow more abruptly and cause more arrows to fail than the basic field point. 

My other choice is for a specific roving game at specific targets....yucca plants on the vast South Dakota prairie.  For shooting yucca I go with a Judo point after losing almost a half dozen arrows in the low grass in just one afternoon. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:34:48 pm »
All year I shoot mostly glue on field points but near hunting season I also shoot my hunting arrows with whatever points are on them...stone, trades or store bought.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 08:43:29 pm »
I practice with broadheads and stone points... they never fly exactly like field points in the Wyoming wind ;D HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:03 am »
Use the stone points I hunt with. Ifn they break I make new ones. Practice with what I will hunt with....bob

jamie

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 08:18:40 am »
just like bob. i have a few fire hardened points for 3d

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:59:55 pm »
My trade points fly just like a field point.But , for practice I build "trade" field points,which are the same weight as my hunting points.I make these from old chainsaw bars.A very manageable size field point of ,say ,175 gr.,can be made easily.Also,if I'm shootin' in my pasture,or in the woods,I use one of my "critter gitters",cause they are pretty tough to lose. Hope this helps. God Bless

Critter gitter

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:34:03 am by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas