Author Topic: Practice techniques  (Read 8472 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Practice techniques
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:23:10 pm »
I've been spending more time practicing my form rather than shooting for accuracy since I got an archery net.  The net is pure white and your arrow flight really stands out against it, flaws in flight seem to be magnified.  I found I can shoot longer and concentrate better when shooting for form rather than shooting at a target.  With the target, when I get a bad arrow I tend to dwell on it and things just go from bad to worse.  When I shoot for form, I go all Keith Carradine/Kung Fu Zen Master.  I get a groove going, feel a rhythm, and I start seeing just a nock with fletching spinning around it.  With the large net backstop I can even relax to the point that I can draw, nock, shoot, and repeat with my eyes closed.  I know it sounds HoodooVoodoo/Fung Shui/Airy-Fairy, but it helps you focus on muscle memory.  It's muscle memory that takes over when your mind spins out of control over the t'irty point buck and you want to make that pure release that sends the shaft home.

I'm shooting about a dozen shots for form for every shot at a target and surprise, surprise surprise, I am now shooting more accurately.  I just got some steel blunts to replace the field points that occasionally blow thru the netting so the net should last indefinitely. 

I found that I can bare shaft test much more effectively with the white background of the netting, too.  The 10' x 10' net is good for beginners because there is so much backstop to grab the arrow they lose/break far fewer arrows. 

Has it made me the Second Coming of Howard Hill?  H*** no!  At least I don't suck so bad that I quit practicing because it just depresses me.  I spend very little time behind the 3D looking for arrows nowadays and that says a lot to me.  Let's home it leads to more practice following blood trails.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

jamie

Re: Practice techniques
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:07 pm »
amen brother. i spend more time on form than shooting these days

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:32:27 pm »
Congratulations on your improved shooting skills.  Consistancy and proper shooting form are essential for good accuracy.  I normally shoot three days a week and I use one for these days to just work on my form.  Shoot straight.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:21:54 pm »
That's awesome! Now I want to try one ;D.

Ranger B

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »
I was thinking today that I haven't shot (practiced) in a long time because I'm hunting so much.  Heck, I need to shoot some  ??? ??? ???

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:13:47 pm »
                            where do you find a Net that will stop Arrows??? I am interested...fer sher..........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:18 pm »
If you do a search on google or hayoo for "archery netting" you will probably find a couple thousand sources.  It comes in black and in white.  I got the 10 x 10 for a little over $100.  Prices vary, be wary.

Make sure it hangs loosely so that the material can "give" with the arrow hits, otherwise even light bows will blow field points straight thru.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:21:44 pm »
An old rug hung up works well too. This is what I use Cause it's cheap. Up to 60 lbs. I've never had one blow through it. I'm just a cheap a**. They were gonna throw it out so I put it to use.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:47:30 am »
i shoot apples  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:10:24 pm »
                                                            I shoot Feral Cats............ >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:16:22 pm »
I was thinking today that I haven't shot (practiced) in a long time because I'm hunting so much.  Heck, I need to shoot some

You've been getting all your practice here lately at the real thing!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 06:25:27 am »
i read a book that many of you may find interesting.  It is titled "zen in the art of archery".  it is about a foriegner who travels to japan and practices archery for 8 years until he is a zen master, the first foreigner to do so.  While the japanes style is different, the book addresses the elusive perfect release, or lack there of, and the man shoots for a few years beforee he ever tries to hit any target.  talk about practicing your form!  the book goes into visualization, feeling, and allowing the arrow to do what it wants, which with training, is ultimately what you want.  you can't tell the arrow where to go, you have to ask it in perfect (language) "form".   interesting read if you are so inclined.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:31:05 pm »
i read a book that many of you may find interesting.  It is titled "zen in the art of archery".  it is about a foriegner who travels to japan and practices archery for 8 years until he is a zen master, the first foreigner to do so.  While the japanes style is different, the book addresses the elusive perfect release, or lack there of, and the man shoots for a few years beforee he ever tries to hit any target.  talk about practicing your form!  the book goes into visualization, feeling, and allowing the arrow to do what it wants, which with training, is ultimately what you want.  you can't tell the arrow where to go, you have to ask it in perfect (language) "form".   interesting read if you are so inclined.

ODesn't sound that far off from what Byron Fergusson seems to teach, or what Hill did. What sort of accuracy did he get?

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:08:24 pm »
I think I read somewhere that Byron Ferguson honed his shooting skills shooting in the dark, or something like that. I can see how one would concentrate more with their eyes closed and rely on muscle memory rather than what their brain is telling them to see. I know what you mean about getting in the zone. I have been shooting for about 4 years, and this is the first year that I am finally starting to feel the "zone". Confidence goes a long way!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:13 am »
When you are in that Zen Zone there comes a time you "feel" the arrow flight before you release and you know where the point of impact will be immediately on release.  And that can be distracting.  Mark Baker, the guy that did the muzzleloader training for the stars in the movies "The Patriot" and "Last of the Mohicans", really said it best in an article he wrote about 9 years ago..."Aim small, miss small".