Author Topic: tools and toys  (Read 3866 times)

Offline armymedic.2

tools and toys
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:05:44 am »
So i am here, makin some dough.....and am going to treat myself to some nice tools whne i get home.  the qiuestion is what?  i have made a few bows with all hand tools, and would like to try using some other methods mainly just for fun, and since im building a house anyway, i need the tools so was wondering what you all found to be the best for bowmaking.  I know im gonna get a bandsaw, need it anyway, but have no idea on which one and there are many with huge $ differences.  Also going to get orbital or belt sander, router, not sure what else. just curious to see what you all think have helped you for one reason or another.   I know some will read this and say slow down, no power!  Thing is im gonna get the tools for the house, so if you think ill just stare at them while im spokeshaving you would be wrong  >:D.  lemme know what yall think.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: tools and toys
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:59 am »
Some will,but not me.I love my bandsaw. :) Can't give you advice on witch one but I
will tell you look and buy the biggest and best you can afford.I have several but the main one is a 14 inch Craftman Industrial model.It dose all I need from cutting down stave's to light work.
With a band saw bigger really is better. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mattco

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:05 am »
I have to agree with Pappy - I have an 18" Jet Bandsaw and sometimes I wish it was bigger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:50:45 am »
Check out grizzly.com. I have a grizzly 14", 1 hp band saw, 10" table saw and 6x48" table top belt/disc sander. They have good prices, quality tools a good tech support and parts. Their catalog is chocked full of all sorts of tools.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:10:41 am »
For selfbows all you really need power tool wise is a bandsaw and a belt sander of some sort. Well we all know you don't really need any power tools but you know what I mean. As for making laminated bows its nice to have a table saw, jointer,and a thickness planer as well.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:16 am »
im with ryan on the jointer. a good router table can be used for arrows and is a definete must if you are doing custom trim work as well as a multi angle miter box. spent the last 4 years remodeling our home. it was built in 1810 and every cut i made had to be custom. did everything from trim to cabinets with the router table. a table saw with a large surface is great but the most important piece of the saw is the fence . make sure the fence is high end. peace

Offline broad_head

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:25:47 am »
As suggested I would go for a 14 inch band saw. In addition good sturdy bench with heavy duty swivel vice. With a good selection of wood rasps and scrapers you are all set.
              I have a number of power tools but never seem to use them but it does depend on what sort of bows you are making!
                                                                                                                                                                                         Peter (UK)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:33:34 am »
14" ShopFox W1706 band saw.  The roller bearing blade guides make all the difference in the world.  Make sure you buy good blades, cheap ones make the best saw useless.  Ill second Pats table top belt sander.  Those are the two tools I use all the time.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »
All I can tell you is don't buy a cheap band saw like I did.  I've ruined some good bows with that good for nothing thing!  I think it might cut straight if you had 1/4" pine.  LOL.
south central VA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »
All I can tell you is don't buy a cheap band saw like I did.  I've ruined some good bows with that good for nothing thing!  I think it might cut straight if you had 1/4" pine.  LOL.

maybe you had the wrong size blade for the job,or you were over working the saw.

any how i would agrre with a band saw, i have a 12" craftsman 2 speed 1 1/8 hp saw works just for me,just cut down a very hard hick stave last night and it really saved me hours of hand work with a rasp.
i have several differant blades,everything from a scrol saw blade to a 1/2 inch.they work great for their intended purposes

peace,
                                                                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »
hmm, thanks for the advice!  i knew there were a bunch of band saw users out there!  i figured i shouldn;t go sheap on the bandsaw, glad you all confirmed that.  im surprised i didn;t hear anyone mention a orbital sander for slower removal of wood....any reasons why?  other fun stuff or brand reccomendations?  gotta look into the suggestions now ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:24 pm »
I found another great tool the other night guys.  A 4 1/2" grinder with an abrasive flap disk. It's messy but makes short work of roughing out a stave if you don't have a bandsaw handy.
Wayne Silverthorn

stonecarver

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:02:12 pm »
They make 24 grit sandpaper disks for the 4 and 1/2in grinder but you need the rubber pad sanding attachment. I used mine for my chainsaw carvings and used it some on bows but then went to the surform which is a little more work but not so much of the dusty mess. I've also used 18 grit on my 7 in grinder, the really coarse stuff does not clog as fast as the 60 or 100 grit. Lately I have used those same sandpaper disks for hand sanding, it's like having a flexible rasp ;)

Offline possum

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:12:34 am »
Grizzly also has the really, totally awesome Logo plate on them.  I was kinda thinkin of ordering just the plate to hang in my shop.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 07:24:53 pm »
I have a 6" orbital sander which is great for finish sanding. I've used it to tiller and it works, but I was still vibrating all over the next day. You go through a lot of pads and it's pretty dusty like Stonecarver says . Still handy for rounding off edges and polishing the truck (not with sandpaper).