Author Topic: Anybody like White Ash?  (Read 5609 times)

Papa Matt

Anybody like White Ash?
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:45:33 pm »
I've not felt a lot of love on the PA site for White Ash. Anybody like it? (Not just have you used it before, but do you really LIKE it). Any advantages to White Ash? Were there any NA tribes that preferred it?

~~Papa Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Anybody like White Ash?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:05:15 pm »
Ishi made some bows from ash (I don't know if it was white ash) and he seemed to like it....but not as much as juniper, of course.  I don't know if any tribes preferred it but many surviving NA bows are made of ash....especially among the Sioux and other Northern tribes.

Advantages:

White ash steam bends easily, is cheap, flexible, plentiful, responds well to sinew backing, and is light weight.  Is looks purty too (to some people). ::)

Personally, I think we have much better choices available.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:34:37 pm »
I have made several bows from white ash, and I like it just fine. It ain't osage, but you can make a good bow from it. Advantages: it's usually straight-grained, not many knots, works easily (it's actually a joy to work), splits straight, and is all-around pretty tough stuff. Like hickory or most whitewoods, it can hold on to moisture in a humid area, and it takes a bit more set than some other woods. I would rate it as good or better than many of the common white woods. Dunno why it has a bad rap, I've never had any trouble with it, and never broken an ash bow (can't say the same for locust, osage, and many other "premium"woods.) Never chrysalled one either, and I have a couple ash bows that have had thousands of arrows shot through them and are still going strong.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Papa Matt

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:38:54 pm »
So it sounds like durability and ease of working are the 2 main advantages that you two have found. I'd say I agree. I've made 3 ash bows so far. The thing I don't see with them--and it may not be the wood at fault, but the way I made them--is that they seem to shoot sluggish.

Pat or Hillbilly have either of you seen this to be the case with WA?

Thanks for the input

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:43:02 pm »
I have terrible luck with any ash. I know I try to push it too much and that is probably I have trouble. I'm so used to osage its hard for me to be careful with other woods. 
   Steve Vonderhey, in his book "The Secrets Of the Omaha Bow" uses ash to build the plains type bow and it must have been a preferred wood for them.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:02:44 pm »
The good sides have been covered above.. I have built a few short 56" to 60" sinew backed recurves from white ash..and they weren't slugish at all.. I would much rather work with it than hickory!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »
Haven't made a ash bow from a stave but have made a bunch from white ash boards. Its good wood after all if
they use it for baseball bats I believe. I nedd to get my hands on some next summer the emerals ash borer has reached the UP
now and I'm sure it won't be long before the state starts cutting all the ash down like they did in the lower peninsula :'(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Papa Matt

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:29:53 pm »
KnightD--Do you think the sinew helped the ashbows you made, and perhaps without it they would have been slower or was it just for assurance?

Dana, I have quite a bit of it drying right now, has been drying actually since March. If you end up needing some let me know.

Thanks for the input guys... :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:08:42 pm »

GET TO WORK MAGGOT!
I WANT TO SEE ASHBOWS AND ELBOWS!

(sorry...couldn't resist)
 ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »
IMO they were alot snappier with the sinew..but was preety good with out it..

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »
I made a plains style sinew bow from ash.Made some mistake's and it came out lighter than anticipated.It would sure fling an arrow though !Ash is hard to find here . Conservation Dept put out an article on the Emerald ash borer and the millions of trees they destroyed
                  Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
I haven't noticed any wood to be particularly "slower" or "faster" than any other wood. The ash bows I've made are no more sluggish than any others-speed is in the design, not the wood. You can make a screamer out of second-string wood, or a dog out of osage or yew. The trick is finding the right design for the wood. I think one thing that has turned people off to ash is that there are several species, and some are lighter/weaker wood than others. White ash is pretty much evenly comparable to hickory from what I've fooled with it, maybe a fuzz more likely to take a bit of set during tillering.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:27 pm »
Just wondreing, would white ash or purple ash for that matter be a better wood for a beginner to start with., rather than snakey locust or osage
live each day the best you can

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:05 pm »
robbs, If you want to make a quick shootable bow the straight grained ash will get you there. If you really want to learn bow making, and you have a strong constitution, go for the snaky stuff! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 12:48:18 pm »
I haven't noticed any wood to be particularly "slower" or "faster" than any other wood.

Hillbilly, you bring up an interesting point.  I think it's especially interesting considering your experience.  Personally, the more experience I gain, the more I notice differences in wood...and the more I notice how one wood is faster or slower than another wood.  It seems to me that some wood will "fight back" and other wood will "go with the flow".  I find this tendency occurs more between different species than between different staves.

The Boywer's Bible series explains how to get the most from each wood based on design and there's no disputing that design is the most important thing.  However, most bows have basically a D cross section, with rounded backs or rounded bellies.  They are not shaped like and H or W (or some other cross section).  Bows also have the basic shape of being thick in the handle and narrow at the tips.  Therefore, there is a limit to how much we can adjust the design to fit the wood.  Once this limit is reached, the properties of the wood itself take over.  That's why a perfectly designed yew bow will outperform a perfectly designed ash bow, for example.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas