Author Topic: What a day on the stand in TN  (Read 3860 times)

Ranger B

What a day on the stand in TN
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:59:11 pm »
My dad got in yesterday so I took him to Walmart to purchase a 7 day nonres for $175  >:D
This morning we hit it early.  Dad will be 77 in a couple of weeks so he hunts from the ground and the terrain has to be good walking so I got him just off a ridge.  At 8:35 a 6 ptr came in and I shot him walking toward me.  The arrow sunk deep and he ran about 20 yards and began hunching up and down then took a few steps and I lost him.  I decided to give him an hour and at 9:30 I saw a doe running and another big deer in pursuit.  It was the big, big 10 pointer I saw two weeks ago.  The doe was coming straight to my stand and big boy was snorting and grunting about 20 yards behind her.  She got to the tree I was in and he was 20 yards from me but behind a bush.  The doe began sniffing my climbing stakes.  All he had to do was take about 2 steps but she jumped back and he began walking around my tree then the two of them left.   What a trophy buck!!!   I waited about 20 min. and a squirrel came by so I shot at him but missed.  My arrow sunk in a stump so I got down and began digging it out with my knife when I heard something.  I looked up and an 8 pointed was about 10 yards in front of me.  I froze and he kept coming toward me.  My bow was on the ground.  He kept coming and got to about 5 feet from me.  He sniffed me then backed up a couple of steps and then walked off.

I went and got my dad and another friend and we went to get the 6 pointer but could not find a drop of blood.  We search for hours but no luck.  It killed me to lose him but we searched everywhere we thought he would and wouldn't be.  I clearly didn't have an exit wound on the bottom side but the arrow sunk deep in him.  I clearly hit him too far back.  What a day.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: What a day on the stand in TN
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:53:44 pm »
 I think If I were trailing that buck RangerB,I would slowly work my way towards the most likely water source,hunting all the way.You'll find him bedded or dead or both. I once helped a friend trail a wounded elk for three days,everytime we caught up with him,it was near water which he went to often,he got another arrow into him on the third day and that bull was ours.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Ranger B

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:49 pm »
I do need to go back. 

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
yeah ya do, if you sank deep ya killed him most lonely, just need to find him.  gotta really pick your shots, if he was walkin' toward you you would have had to be in the shoulder or forward of it to be in the kill zone.  i know broadside shots don't always present themselves, but comming at you it can't get harder than that, i ussually let em bust me if all i have is a frontal.  where did it hit? time to do a grid search or something. deer don;t hunch up for nuthin, and yeah, check every dang water hole you know about and look for some more!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Ranger B

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:53 pm »
I hit him just behind the shoulders and thought it was down under me enough that it would certainly get the vitals.  Back out to look.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:32 pm »
  Hope you find him, Jimmy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:28:20 am »
oh frok treesdtand?  should be in the liver at least then, good luck!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:56:54 am »
Sounds like a great day,other than loosing the six.Good luck in finding him.I would
for sure go walk it out.FYI you know you can only take 1 buck a day in TN. Sure
don't want one of my buds to get into trouble. ;) :)Hope you dad gets a shot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:10:19 am »
Good luck on finding him Jimmy, sounds like an exciting day. I hunted yesterday afternoon and saw nothing... :(
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...