Author Topic: Closing In...  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Closing In...
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:24:20 pm »
after getting permission to hunt the outter perimeter of some property, i'm finally closing in on the deer.  i was pretty close to nailing the four pointer last week but didn't let go.  kicked myself for that one but i've gotten over it.  met with the owner sat. and talked with him for close to three hours.  he suggested an oak grove on the outter edge near a water treatment plant.  i scouted the place sun. afternoon.  found some trails that looked like someone went through there with a tiller.  i hung my lock on near the edge of a steep hill hoping it would funnel the deer along the edge for a 10 yard shot on my left side.  well went there mon.  about six, three does came out and walked almost completely around me.  they finally worked there way to me from behind, which is where the wind was blowing, and the lead doe caught my scent.  since this place is so near people she didn't really get too alarmed but definately went on alert.  all she needed to do is take three more steps and she would be in my shooting lane.  there is a large downed pine tree she had to step over and when she stepped over she just happened to look up at me.  she didn't like what she saw and did a 180.  she jumped two steps and kept walking but never looked back at me.  go figure!  about 30 minutes later i looked up to see what i thought was a small buck.  turned out to be a very nice 8 pointer.  i grunted at him several time and stopped him.  he seemed to think about coming my way but kept going.  then, just as i was ready to get down at dark, i heard the crunch-crunch of a deer walking through leaves.  sure enough, two more does walked down the trail the earlier does had been walking.  i drew back but it was too dark for a shot.  hopefully i can get back in there sat. or mon. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:26:53 pm by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline TRACY

Re: Closing In...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »
Sounds like things are heating up. Isn't it funny how they can distinguish that your scent is "too" far from nearby human activity and send up a flag. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Ranger B

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:58:16 pm »
Get um' Chris

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »
  Good luck Chris. I just looked at one of Kevin's groves this afternoon that the hog's are killing him eating all the low oranges. I'm going there after work tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:06:20 am »
Chris, can you talk a few of those deer to show up at the farm on Nov. 15? 
   I'm leaving Friday morning for GA. Should be pretty close to the rut there and around you.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:59:56 am »
the deer are around the farm this year.  hopefully a couple will show up on the 15th.  the acorns should be gone by then and the food plots are coming in beautifully.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:04:10 am »
Sounds like just a matter of time and a little luck...pick a spot! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...