Author Topic: Hornbeam VS. Hop Hornbeam  (Read 4654 times)

Papa Matt

Hornbeam VS. Hop Hornbeam
« on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:54 pm »
Brothers, of these two, which one is considered the best for making a fast bow? I have access to both, and have already cut some Hop Hornbeam...does the regular Hornbeam make a better bow, as far as speed?

~~Papa Matt

Offline sailordad

Re: Hornbeam VS. Hop Hornbeam
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »
once again on this topic i would have to say that speed comes from the proper dsign and mass for the wood/materials being used
havent made a bow out of either as of yet,but pappy made one from hhb that was awesome and you know his bows all look like they shoot well
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:09 pm »
I just want to see if anyone has used both of them, and see what differences they noted in the two. In other words, I have some HHB already cut, is it worth it to cut some HB, or does it perform pretty much the same.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:44:43 am »
I'm hunting with a hhb bow right now and I think it's one of the best white woods for bow making out there. Hornbeam I've seen is usually more knarley then hhb, so it would be more difficult to get a long piece without having a lot of propellor. Don't know how it stacks up with hhb, but give it a try. A billet bow might be a solution spliced in the handle if you have trouble finding a straight full length piece.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:57:03 am »
I've only got hornbeam, and though it's really gnarly, the wood is very hard and dense. It makes a really nice bow if you can get something out of it, and the shape is just amazing at times. You have to beat on the bark with a wooden mallet to get it cleanely off, but the work is worth it. Once they dry out I'll be making a bow from it as soon as possible.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:17 pm »
As sailordad said its not so much the wood as the design for the wood in question, personally I don't
think their would be much if any speed difference between the two given the same design. If you have
hornbeam that is good enough for a bow use it, if the HHB is better use that. I would love to try hornbeam
myself, even a less than perfect stave can make a good bow. Besides speed is over rated or we all would be
shooting compounds yet ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:56:05 pm »
I've never worked HB but the HHB bow I donated to Pappy's Classic last year was a very good shooter.IMO.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:21:57 pm »
i have used american hornbeam (not hop)  and found it makes a great bow. the saplings are usually easier to find that are not all knarly. i compare it very, very close to elm.  and i have heard some say the hhb and elm are very similiar  so i imagine that hornbeam and hhb ae very close as well.  i really enjoy hornbeam and have taken deer with it.- Ryan

hey if anyone one wants to do the comparison, i can probably trade a pretty close to cured sapling of hornbeam  for a piece of hop hornbeam.  i'd like to make a hhb  bow, so if anyone wants to try hornbeam PM me.  i can live with a relatively shorter piece, 58 inches are longer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive