Author Topic: Sinew??  (Read 5069 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Sinew??
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:05 am »
The only bad thing ive heard is sometimes when puting them down at diferent times some people have had them lift. Most all of the bows I have sinewed have been short recurves..I'm kinda wandering what kind of benifits I will get by puting sinew on some of the longer bows?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 01:24:39 pm »
I've never sinewed a longbow, but I have asked several people that have a great deal more experience how well it would work.  The concensus is that you shouldn't waste the sinew on longer bows.  On longer bows the limb doesn't get a deep enough bend to really "load" the sinew and all it does is add weight to the limb and reduce cast. 

The rule of thumb I was given for stiff handle bows was to double the draw length and add 10% (example: [26" x 2] + 5.2" = 57.2")  Anything shorter than that will improve with sinew, everything above that will suffer from the treatment.  For bend in the handle, just double the draw length without adding the 10% (example: 26 x 2 = 52" ). 

Your mileage may vary, subject to state and local taxes, batteries not included.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 04:47:20 pm »
Your mileage may vary, subject to state and local taxes, batteries not included.. :D...

Yeah I think I should have said longer  as in 60" 62" or so..lol..