Author Topic: layout on a stave  (Read 4994 times)

Offline david w.

layout on a stave
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:28:57 pm »
HOw do you ralley lay out a bow on a stave?  I am making my first bow from a stave and i dont know how to lay it out.  Its got several inches of reflex and isnt quite perfectly straight but its close.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline sailordad

Re: layout on a stave
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:33:49 pm »
first of all there are more knowledgible people other than me so you might want to wait for one of them to chime in
what kind of wood are you working with?
however you first must draw a center line down the middle following the grain,lay out about a 4" handle area with about 1.5" fades,take youw width
go half that on each side of the center line.

thas about as well as i can explain it,im still fairly new too :-[

peace,
                                                                                              tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:30:51 am »
Is it good straight grain wood like Hickory or have a wandering longitudinal grain like Most Osage has.
It will make a difference in the lay out.If it is good straight grain you can just pop a line for the
center,but if it wanders I do it by eye to follow the center and crown of the stave.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »
For that elm stave, mark the center, then follow the grain and mark the center line along the high point on the crown. Mark the width evenly on both sides for the length of the limbs and handle, and cut the width out. With the excess removed, you can taper the tip and handle. Once you have it roughed out (and still crooked) steam the handle and straighten it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:14:34 pm »
Check out my site. There are start to finish buildalongs on it. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:56:47 pm »
In the area that your wife lets you build bows in........string a tight line , e.g. a length of piano wire, or fishing line or single strand of B-50, TIGHT, low over the bench.   Slide your stave under it.   Arrange the stave so that the tight line is centered on the ends and in the middle.   Or, you may have to adust it in all points to get the best out of the stave.  Block up the stave so it NEARLY touches the line.   With a sharpie mark the stave at the ends, middle, 1/3 points , where ever you wish.   Now you have a "baseline" to work with.  I concur with the expert advice above, this works if the  grain of the wood follows the plank/board fairly well.  In a raw stave split from a tree the rules are a bit different. 

piper

piper

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:16:17 am »
In the area that your wife lets you build bows in........

piper

Dang David did you go and get married on us this summer :o :o :P :P ;D ;D No wonder we haven't seen ya around for awhile  ;D ;D

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 01:58:16 pm »
I just figured all the old bucks on this site were married, the young ones are too busy chasing does to have a hobby.   piper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 02:21:28 pm »
Well this little Button Buck is only 15......ain't silly enough to be interested in marriage yet....and has a healthy Hobby building Bows!!

David..lets see a picture of the Stave....might make it easier for some to give you advice in how to lay it out properly..and make sure that it's OK with your Mom before you use Her Kitchen to steam and straighten that Stave too.......OK..... ;) ;D I know how Women get when you use their Pots and Pans for steaming and cooking Hide Glue!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:52:17 pm »
I just figured all the old bucks on this site were married, the young ones are too busy chasing does to have a hobby.   piper

Wait, I thought archery is what gets you chicks in the first place ???? I think I've been tricked...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:23:56 pm by Kegan »

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
Islandpiper they chase me ;D >:D

Destructo-How bout i just do it when my mom is gone? >:D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:42:22 pm »
                                 Just remember to clean up Your Messes.......and leave the Girls alone!!!!!

at least for a little while.......... 8)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:45:39 pm »
I thought my mom was here to pick up my messes for me. ???

o i will try ;D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 09:13:52 pm »
I thought my mom was here to pick up my messes for me. ???

o i will try ;D

ya that probably wont go over real big,atleast it wouldnt have with my mom. and not with my wife either.

ya good luck with that one.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd