Author Topic: string + limb alignment  (Read 4287 times)

Offline mitchman

string + limb alignment
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:40:12 pm »
is it bad if the string doesnt go straight down the middle of the bow.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: string + limb alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:31 pm »
I have made several that the String doesn't track straight down the Center....I made sure that when I had them laid out....that the String tracked down the side the Arrow would be resting...and this made them more like a center shot Bow....worked out great for Me.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:44 pm »
I lost a bow that way. It chrysalled all along the edge and then a fret like a pice of pie popped out. Get it as straight as you can, any "side bending" will weaken the wood and shorten the life expenctancy A little wandering is one thing, but after that, I try to keep them straight. I really liked that bow too :'(.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:54 pm »
As long as the Tips line up....and the limbs arent being propellor twisted when drawn....I dont see any problem here........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:28 pm »
I think it's overrated but we can discuss fixes that don't involve heat if you are interested. Propellor twisted bows work fine too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »
 Tips and handle should be in line. What the limb dose in between doesn't matter as long as it's not stressing the limb in a certain spot or have severe grain run out.
  Getting the string to align is fairly simple. refer to some of the buildalongs. See Gordons Hazelnut or the Syringa Character bow buildalong that I did. Both of those buildalongs show how to straighten the string alignment.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:01 pm »
Working on a vine maple now that when I started on it the string was about 4" off to the side after steaming I got it down to
about an inch, some wood removal and 2 sessions with the heat gun and its right on the edge, probably have to do one more alignment on it.
It wasn't a very nice piece of wood :o But waste not, want not eh. I will be happy with the string anywhere on the handle :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »
This Bow is 5 years old ...and shot all the time....and nothing lines up....and it's Birch.....and it propellor twists....so there is 2 strikes according to some....but still there is no signs of stress....no string follow....no frets.....no chrysals....Dont worry..... Be Happy!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:08:54 am »
Ahh, you must be discovering the joys of osage.  ;D Get it so that the tips are lined up with the center of the handle. If the tips and the handle line up, it doesn't matter what it does between them. Easiest time to correct side-to-side movement is after you have cut out the back profile, but the stave is stilll thick. That osage will bend like butter with some heat/steam. Seal the back before heating or steaming it to keep it from possibly checking.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 08:44:13 pm »
thanks for the info. how do i seal it, what do i seal it with is this like the finish or do i take it off
 ??? ;D ;D

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:59:47 pm »
Shellac works good...you just want something that will keep the wood from being in direct contact with the Steam...beleive it or not....this will dry it out worse...and it will possibly Check or worse...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
Like Mike said, spray shellac or just wood glue either work well. It's just a temporary sealer to keep moisture from escaping too fast-You'll wind up scraping it back off before you do the final sanding/sealing on the bow. I had a couple osage and locust staves check pretty badly after heat bending before I started sealing them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 05:15:44 pm »
so should i just =cover it (will polyuerethane work) then bend it. should i just go down another ring.so its a full ring.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:47 pm »
Poly will work....but why would you want to chase down another ring?? Did you violate this one?? Seal it....let it dry a day or so...then steam it ...bend it...steam it more if you still need more....once it is aligned.....let it sit a few days to make sure that the extra Moisture has gone....then start to work on it like any other Stave
2024...We Will Overcome