Author Topic: sapling bows - a lesson in tillering  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Gordon

sapling bows - a lesson in tillering
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »
I've always admired the short sapling bows that John Strunk would create from various woods such as vine maple, service berry and hawthorne.  They look like they should be so simple to build. Just split the stave down the middle and tiller the belly until  a bow materializes - no fades, handles or shaping of the limbs required. But looks are deceptive. Lateral and vertical pin knots, bumps, dips, and a high crown that wanders from one side of the limb to the other are enough to make any sane bowyer throw their arms up in despair. I've attempted three of these bows in the past, two of which were utter failures, and one which survived, but I was not satisfied with. A couple of weeks ago I decided to torture myself again and attempt to fashion a bow out of a hawthorne sapling. I have spent hours looking over John's sapling bows trying to decipher the techniques for successfully building such a bow and this time I was determined to apply my observations.

The first observation is that you must faithfully follow the back. If the the back dips, so must the belly follow. If the crown wanders to the left then more wood must be taken off from the left. The second observation is that pin knots can be deadly unless handled properly. If a knot (particularly one that is lateral) is ignored, it will likely result in a cyrhsal if in a high strain area. It should be left proud, but not too much or other areas may become overstressed particularly when there are many such knots in close proximity. Finally because the limbs are typically narrower than one would normally design with the same wood of larger diameter and the presence of a high crown, you must be very thoughtful about the tiller to ensure the compressive forces on the belly are distributed as evenly as possible - there is very little room for error.

In the past couple of weeks I have attempted to apply these observations, though clumsily at times. A serviceable bow has emerged from my efforts, but more importantly my understanding of tillering has grown substantially. One thing is for certain, I'll never look at sapling bows and those who successfully create them the same again.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: sapling bows - a lesson in tillering
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:51:54 pm »
  Ahh, Gordon, My curiosity is running along the same lines as yours. I recieved a Hop Hornbeam sapling split down the middle from Jesse(leapingbare). I've been studying it since I got it.I'm thinking about an ELB if it's possible and then a short sinew bow with the other piece.

When do we get to see it?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:18:41 pm »
    Plum wood both domestic and wild is ideal for these sapling bows, I have a plum in the backyard I am getting ready to trim and it looks like I may be able to get only a few billets out of it but I am looking forward to working it. Plum really needs to be cured slowly or will warp twist and split very badly. Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »
I've made one bow from plum and I was greatly impressed with this wood.

Okay, Eddie, here are a couple of teaser pics. I'll post a full compliment of pictures when the bow is completed.

Gordon

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:29:24 pm »
Ahhh Gordon,  I believe you could turn a half rotten 2x4 into a thing of beauty!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »
 Gordon Your observations are excellent and the detailed explanation is very educational. I agree completely with your findings and have had some recent challenging trials with a service berry sapling. After countless hours of carefull learning and tillering I made the mistake of trying to heat treat one trouble spot in the upper limb. It became even more troublesome and eventually failed..

Great looking bow, Can't wit to see more of it ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:57:17 pm »
Beautiful Gordon, if all truely primitive bows looked like that they might hold our interest. great example of true primitive bowyering. great post also, very good insights. Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:13:58 pm »
Keenan,

I also attempted making a bow from a service berry sapling. It was looking real good and then one of the limbs starting leaning sideways and that was that. But I have several other SB staves and I will keep trying until I get it right. You should see some of John's service berry sapling bows - they are to die for.

Thank you for the compliment Steve.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:45:53 am »
Very nice bow, Gordon. What size sapling do you start with?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:51:00 am »
Pat, the stave was 1 3/4" in diameter. By the time I worked down the belly the limb width was 1 1/2" at the widest point.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 08:20:07 am »

looks fantastic!!!
i would want to make one from blackthorne (sloe/wildprume) just like that; haven't found good enough saplings yet.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 08:29:26 am »
You're teasing us with only two pictures, great looking bow!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:59 pm »
I'm actually starting to enjoy working on staves that are less then pristine, some would say firewood ::)
And your absoulutely right they will give you a crash course in tillering, makes you pay attention to the small details.
I have several services staves drying but they all have pretty severe prop twist, so we shall see what can be had.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI